Proliant Servers? ML110 G5

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by SnoopDog, Nov 7, 2009.

1. SnoopDog

SnoopDog MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    hi there.

i have a proliant server ML110 G5 sitting around at the corner that i want to get server 2008 R2 or server 2008 running on it.

here is the problem, i have checked the initial bios had slic 2.0 but none of the certs that are available worked...

the latest bios tho, under revision history wrote that the latest bios would have Modified OEM Activation 2.0 to support Windows 2008 R2.

but after i flashed i couldnt see slic 2.1 or 2.0....

so i decided to install server 2008 and use the old bios and try to install a cert and key..

key was accepted and PID is OEM - just like the dell one.

but it wouldnt get activated. i think that the cert is not working. anyone have an OEM cert for proliants around? or a tool to show SLIC 2.1 with the latest bios rev? those tools that were supplied on site for the asset tags etc didnt work even on puredos. it was all giving 0x086 errors etc.

or maybe if someone is kind enough to supply a tutorial so i could get it up and running? :D appreciate it very much.

2. HPNick

HPNick MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    #2 HPNick, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Proliant ML110 G5

Hi SnoopDog,

Have you checked the original SLIC (2.0) was not hidden? I use the SLIC Dump Toolkit (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/6925) or everest to check?

I have the same server and although the SLIC is in the BIOS, it seems to be hidden and like you I can find no way to make it visible with any of the available tools.

If it is visible on your box, perhaps we can compare BIOSs and work out where the show/hide flag is? The release notes for the BIOS seems to indicate the SLP flag address is stored in table 225 of the SMBIOS (h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&swItem=MTX-c97c6477ae454b5289fd5a7011&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5).

Nick.

3. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    the reason why it is hidden, and you cannot activate with it, is the same as any computer that does not come with vista on it. Just like XP, why would they have a SLIC table on a computer with XP when it does not use it? It came with server 2003, which does not use the SLIC table, so therefore the SLIC info is not active. This is common logic.

good luck finding a way to get that table in the bios turned on.