Proper Procedures for quitting cigarettes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Freeman, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Freeman

Freeman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2009
    My dad is addicted to smoking since last 20 years, earlier it didn’t had much effect but now when he is 50+ his cough level has considerably increased. He is also willing to quit smoking, but he always ended up smoking again. Can anyone help me find a proper guide or procedure to quit smoking permanently? Thanks in advance

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Whatever works

First off, go to http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/889 and read the thread. There is a lot of good technical info and personal insights that many of us have shared.

The effects of smoking are, at once, neurophysiological, pharmacological, and psychological. Generally, however, it seems that attempting to satisfy the craving for a cigarette, i.e., satisfy one's appetite, by substituting something else often works. There is a significant body of evidence that restoring falling blood sugar levels may help. (Blood sugar level is what the brain "reads" and triggers a feeling of hunger when it starts to drop, signaling it's time to eat - or time to have a cigarette). My candy bar routine worked for me.

Maybe he could switch to a pipe or occasional cigar (without inhaling). Some people suck on hard candies throughout the day and it seems to help. But, nothing will decay one's teeth faster than this. Cavities are caused by sugars which are instantly digested by oral bacteria producing acidic waste products; the acids produced cause decay (acids dissolve the calcium matrix of enamel). Thus, quickly ingested (swallowed) sugars produce the least damage, although they still do their share.

Regardless, I think it safe to say that all of us who piped in would agree that, unless your father wants to quit smoking, he won't, i.e., he is not going to quit simply because others want him to or because "they" say he should. Perhaps he would be amenable to smoking less. Speaking for myself, whenever people told me that I should quit, I felt like I was being nagged - not a terribly productive feeling. Be gentle, supportive, but most of all, understanding. I think for me, there is a predominant psychological component to smoking; I gave up cigarettes but I am going to be buried with my pipe clenched between my teeth!

What does he think about all of this? Has he ever tried the "patch?"

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...