Putting hard drive in another machine

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LM3, Jul 28, 2015.

1. LM3

LM3 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #1 LM3, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Has anyone tried putt the hard drive from an activated Windows 10 machine in a new machine? Worked fairly well with Win 7.;)

2. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    The last time I did something like this I was at Windows XP.

But with Windows 10? It won't get activated. No way.

3. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I did it to get x64 on a PC without enough memory. I had previously upgraded with x86 so it was able to activate.

I have something I'd like to test but am running out of hardware. Install 7 (or 8.1), start the upgrade, after the first reboot move the HD to a new PC and let setup continue. I'm interested in knowing if it can detect that the previous activation was on different hardware.

4. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Not done it with a psychical disk, but I moved one virtual machine with activated Win10 on to another server with different hardware, imported it to hyper-v, using the make new ID options, and the VM was still activated on the new server. I did see the Product ID was like the original VM. Both could be on the internet at the same time, on two different servers.
    But thats VMs, still I think it can apply to real computers. Of course, you can make your system unstable with different drivers (hardware etc), but it could work.

5. LM3

LM3 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Has anyone actually done this?

6. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    If you move the hard drive to different computer you will lose activation....The machine hash won't come close to matching,.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It would be may get's activated using the Phone Activation! If it's not an OEM License which are used!! Just depend on the explanation given to the Techie at Activation Center!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...