Q about updating from 8 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kabbo, Nov 13, 2013.

1. kabbo

kabbo MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    will i lose all installed desktop programs ?

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Not sure, but just a reminder, it is one-way trip. Maybe you want to look into dual-booting in case you have unknown issue with W8.1

3. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Clean install? Definitely yes.
    Upgrade? Most programs that run on 8 will be retained. I haven't yet seen a program that runs only on 8 and not 8.1 though. So... no, you shouldn't lose anything.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    My personal opinion on the rapid release cycles adopted by software/hardware manufacturers combined with the economic slowdown/layoffs (very important correlation):

1. Institutional learning acquired over the years is being eliminated through layoffs. A lot of software is made/tested in my country (India) and layoffs/manpower quality is becoming more acute.
    2. Testing is not being done properly and what hardware worked perfectly earlier may become unstable in newer software.
    3. It is no longer a given that given the rapid release, the newer version is better. A lot of people swear by win 7 as do I, and I find win 7 and 8 to be perfect for my 2012 hardware. Win 8.1 brings a whole set of problems. For that matter, newer versions released in quick succession by Mozilla, NVIDIA, etc are not necessarily better. They can in fact be worse.

I wonder if I personally am doomed to stay on win 8/7 and older versions of software from others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #5 tonto11, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Had a clean install of Win 8.0 with Office and Project 2013 on a Dell610.
    no issues.
    Upgraded to Win8.1
    That includes IE11.

IE11 repeatedly crashes on wxw.nationalpost.com
    after 3 tries it quits.
    no statement of why

Never mind an update from MS just fixed it :=)

...T