[Q] Changing MAC address of WiFi card

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ZaForD, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey Guys,

Anyone know of a way to change (spoof) the MAC on a WiFi card ?
    I've tried 'SMAC' and 'Technitium MAC' but neither are working with WTP2 :(

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't need an apps, just could be done from within Windows! Read from the link I posted!

But as I said, for WiFi Dongle/Card that may didn't work!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Does everything work if there's 2 systems with the same mac address? Do they both get their own ip address??

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Very hardly you'll find 2 systems with the same MAC Address, if any! That's mainly only possible if the MAC Address is cloned!

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In Windows 8.1 you could do the following:

• First, open the Device Manager. On Windows 8.1, press Windows Key + X and click Device Manager. On Windows 7, press the Windows key, type “Device Manager” to search for it, and click Device Manager.
    • Locate the network interface you want to modify under Network Adapters, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced tab and select Network Address in the list. Your network driver doesn’t support this feature if the option isn’t here.
    • Enable the Value option and enter your desired MAC address without any separating characters — don’t use dashes or colons. Click OK afterward.

That will work in most cases. I never had try in Windows 10!

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, Y=2, 6, A, E means the Locally Administered MAC bit (b2) is switched on. Those aren't used by true vendors and thus chance of conflict is nil. Looks like Windows doesn't want the casual users to spoof MACs... :rolleyes:

9. RZR

RZR MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Not sure if you sorted this out yet ZaForD. As you discovered, you cannot change the wireless MAC in Windows anymore since Microsoft did something to prevent that.

However, all is not lost. If you are moving a physical machine to a VM, you can change the MAC of the VM within the software. I've only ever done it on VMWare, but I successfully changed the machine's MAC address to the desired Wireless MAC. I can't comment on VirtualBox, but I would imagine it has similar functionality.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  11. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @RZR, Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, I know it can be done via a VM. I moved both the Server and Client to Hyper-V and they work fine. ;)

The guy I did it for then wanted to use his laptop instead of a VM on a desktop as the Client.
    But, its one of these 'Style over Function' things. That has No Ethernet, No RAM, No Power, Limited Storage, but looks like a MAC.
    So using a VM on that not really an option. :(