[Q] Computer slows down while transferring files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xmatrix, May 5, 2011.

1. xmatrix

xmatrix MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    Hello,

When I do a large file transfer or multiple file transfers my computer gets extremely slow during the process. Slow meaning that to open the web browser it struggles and while typing search terms in google there is lag. That's just one example, other's being opening programs.

Last night I reformatted my computer because I thought maybe it had something to do with it. But no luck because after the clean install was complete I transferred about 600gb back on the computer and during this process tried to view the properties xpadder (Right click-> Properties) and the entire system froze. A hard reset and I started the process all over again, tried watching tv using windows media center and it worked but flipping through channels was extremely slow and it is not usually.

I'm trying to solve this problem and maybe see if others are experiencing the same.

I think my hardware is more than capable:

Windows 7 x64
    8gb of Ram
    1tb WD Caviar Black
    ATI Radeon 4890
    Gigabye P55-UD6 rev1.0
    Enermax Modu 82+
    Corsair H50

some background info:

I originally had my computer overclocked but after a Bios upgrade I couldn't get the same results so It is currently stock speed.

Computer is only a year old.

Running temps are around 40-45C

Harddrive temps are normal (40-48C)

I have completed a full check disk and monitor the harddrive with CrystalDisk Info (SMART Utility) and it seems 100%.

Thanks.

2. ff7fan4eva

ff7fan4eva MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I had this problem too i.e slow opening programs, ages to boot, crappy file transfer times. Turned out to be a hard drive error and it was on it's last legs. If you can, try installing onto a different hard drive, if that still doesn't work try the above answer.

3. xmatrix

xmatrix MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    First of all thanks for the suggestions,

Thermal Compund: Since I reformatted I got all the updated drivers including the SATA and chipset

ff7fan4eva: I haven't tried that, I was hoping that my hard drive was ok since nothing came back on the check disk or the SMART utility (crystaldisk info) but If worse comes to worse I will have to go out and buy another one. Any other suggestions before I go and spend the money, I'm pretty sure once I use it the store won't take it back >.<

4. myluck1990

myluck1990 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    @xmatrix

open the box and try to hear any noise from the harddrive like metal touching but not very loud.

If you hear some thing like that, it is definitely some sections in your harddrive defective.

Good luck

5. ff7fan4eva

Apr 28, 2011
    Only indication i got from my hard drive was a constant HDD light when idle, and my videos kept stopping for a second, then would start again. It didn't make any sounds (myluck1990's comment) or give me errors in SMART, try using HDTune's health checker and do some read/writes and post what you get.

6. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Windows Search [indexing] service will keep your HDD busy all the time. I killed that and under drive properties deselected indexing. Doing those two things improved my file copying significantly. I also turned off auto defragging but not sure that helped much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ff7fan4eva

Apr 28, 2011
    I know about all these but programs, videos, start up being slow and errors in general made me think about the hard drive itself, nothing to do with the software.

8. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #8 zahnoo, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    RE: "When I do a large file transfer or multiple file transfers my computer gets extremely slow..."

Understand, but the above initial statement in the original poster's post made me think to consider Search. And when search and indexing are active, the HDD's LED fires and it can do so for what seems like an inordinately long period of time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ff7fan4eva

Apr 28, 2011
    #9 ff7fan4eva, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    True but as search indexer only functions when idle it shouldn't affect the system's performance all the time

10. xmatrix

xmatrix MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    Thanks for all the responses thus far,

first of all I want to say that this forum has been amazing in terms of quick and informative responses of good quality and I'm shocked because other forums (that shall remain nameless) seem to be lacking in the responses.

That being said, I plan to try out these solutions and get back with an answer as soon as I can, however I do work a lot so it will take me some time - most likely a week or so. In the meantime if anyone has any other suggestions please post them!

P.S I had a suggestion that It could be the anti-virus, It sounds logical so I will also try disabling that for file transfers, however I like the fact that it scans the incoming files.

11. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    True, but if the system has been in use copying a large amount data, 7 will see that as not being idle for a "long" time and do more extensive indexing. And indexing may restart at the end of every large copying job.

But you're right, and original poster has got a whole lot of what he considers good suggestions to work with. And that the whole idea. :)

12. hana

hana MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2008
    why don't you use hard disk regenerator instead and see what will come up if there is a bad sector on the drive it will try to fix it

13. ff7fan4eva

Apr 28, 2011
    Agreed :)

14. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi xmatrix, Welcome to MDL :)

From the first part of your post, can I take it that your system works fine when not Transfering Files ?
    If that is the case I'd say Thermal Compound is on the right track.

You also don't say whether you were transfering the files via USB or Network.
    Eitherway, check out the websites for the MoBo, NIC and Chipset vendors for drivers, chances are they'll all offer different drivers.
    Download them and try them all out (one at a time) to see if there make a difference.
    TIP: Newer doesn't always mean better ;)

If your using USB, make sure your Ext.HDD is the only device using that USB hub. (check MoBo manual)

For Network transfers, check the BIOS to see 'IF' you can set the NIC to its own IRQ, as it could be sharing it with something else that is causing a bottleneck.
    Also check the NIC/Router/Switch settings, search Google about 'Jumbo Frames' :confused:
    Lastly you could try a real Network Card, a decent Intel NIC is only a few £/$ and WILL make a difference to your network throughput.

Good Luck. :cool:

15. xmatrix

xmatrix MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    Thanks for the reply's! With my busy work and school schedule (and flashing my nexus s) I haven't had any time to troubleshoot my desktop :( I know that the drivers that I'm using are all from my mobo's website (gigabyte) as opposed to the ones provided on the cd with the mobo. Would it be possible that the mobo can have an affect on this? I'm asking because I once had my computer overclocked to 4.0ghz from the stock 2.66 i5. Somewhere along the road I think I may have damaged the chip/mobo because I cannot overclock my system the slightest even with the provided easy tune software! Would that have any affect on the file transfers? I've heard that the front side bus can increase file transfer speeds and that is one of the main figures that are changed when overclocking....just a thought.