Q-Flash Wont flash slic bios?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Stealthee, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Stealthee

Stealthee MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    When i slic a bios my q-flash will not show it as able to flash. Is this some built in protection of the Gigabyte motherboard. It shows the original bios i have on the hd but not the slic version no matter what i name it. So do i got to use the dos version to flash it? I could of sworn ive used q-flash before.

2. mojaideen

mojaideen MDL Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Try Qflashing with untouched bios downloaded from Gigabyte's website first.
    then check if the SLIC bios version is same version as the untouched one.
    Qflash "might" not flash the slic bios if it is older than what was already in your system.

Warning:
    Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

3. Stealthee

Stealthee MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    I downloaded the newest version from gigabyte and sliced the bios with dell 2.1 slic. it will flash the untouched bin fine sees it and everything wont even show me the moded one to flash.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008

Do not flash with q-flash..This is NOT SMART, nor recommended.

Always flash from DOS with flashspi from Gigabyte. All bios download with it..

Winflash, QFlash or @BIOS is a bad idea..always..

I think that warning is a bit much...:D:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mojaideen

mojaideen MDL Member

Feb 7, 2008
    #5 mojaideen, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009

Better safe than sorry :D :D
    bricked a few before....

stealthee where did you get the SLICed bios? you sure its the right one

try 911medic's advice, one of the best experts here!

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Just pickin on ya..laptops best not mess with unless you can replace. The Chinese websites recommend do not mess with laptops at all..

I guess we are ahead of the curve there..:D

Desktops, certainly gigabyte is very low risk. ACER, Lenovo, and Gateway are very high risk..Insyde bios is becoming less risky, but we have few possible mods as of yet.

We'll get 'em though..:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mojaideen

mojaideen MDL Member

Feb 7, 2008
    #7 mojaideen, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. Stealthee

Stealthee MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    So just to be clear i downloaded ma79xds5.F8d from Gigabyte and used awardtool 1.13 selected bin on my drive selected manufacturer to Gigabyte used the dell 2.1 slic file and the del slp file and left it on SSV3 then clicked GO. it made a new bios that one should be safe to flash with flashspi then right?

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes. .

10. XcopyBR

XcopyBR MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I've always flashed with QFlash, no problems whatsoever.

11. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I have also used Qflash without problms on Gigabyte boards.
    On a dual bios board I usually flash the 'Backup bios' and boot from the backup bios to test.

Currently using a self modified Slic 2.1 bios using Andy's Awardtool V1.12 (Thanks Andy).
    Vista and Windows 7 activated.

12. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I guess the take home point is that I wont recommend it and DOS is the best way to flash a bios..QFlash is not pure DOS..:D