[Q:] How to change BCD boot options for WinRE?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by moderate, Feb 10, 2016.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 moderate, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello guys,

I need to change BCD starting parameters for WinRE, which I then usually start from so called "<F8> BootMenu".
    I need to do something like:

Code:
    bcdedit /store C:\Boot\BCD /set {default} NoIntegrityChecks Yes
    but not for regular Windows, but for WinRE.

I have mounted winre.wim, problem is, that there isn't any "Boot" or "EFI" dir in there.

Where is BCD for Windows RE (which usually loads itself to "X:" RAM-Drive) stored?

Thanks for any (nice) answers.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #2 Flipp3r, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It's stored with the system BCD. Try:
    Code:
    bcdedit /enum all|more
    or if looking offline like your example:
    Code:
    bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /enum all|more

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Great, thanks. How can that be, that I didn't figured it out myself? :))

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #5 moderate, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    (OP)
    I successfully located everything. But I still didn't achieved, what I wanted:

For fun I deployed W8-1-1 on old non-NX CPU nbook. I patched ntoskrnel.exe, hall.dll, halmacpi.dll, winload.exe, switched on NoIntegrityChecks, switched off RecoveryEnabled in BCD and successfully loaded main OS. Now I tried to do the same for WinRE (inside winre.wim) and in BCD too.

Problem is that while "NoIntegrityChecks Yes" works on main installation (so I can load patched winload.exe with disabled patchguard), it doesn't work on WinRE (no matter, if it is WinRE deployed to ramdisk no directly extracted to HDD).

Strange.

5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    When I originally moved to Win8 I tried to permanently set bcd to Legacy so I could have the F8 key back.
    I replaced all Standard to Legacy in all the BCD Templates and any BCD I could find in OS & in winre.wim.
    Did not work. System would start off with Legacy but any recovery/bcdboot command would set it back to Standard. I gave up...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...