[Q] How to install Windows 8 Pro x64 EFI

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Drsela, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Drsela

Drsela MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    #1 Drsela, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    I've been searching around for this in a while, and I've found some answeres, but I'd like to know how you did it?

I tried to install Windows 8 EFI, but I couldn't select UEFI from my boot order o_O
    I burned the .iso from the upgrade assistant to a DVD, rebooted my pc, went to my BIOS, then I checked the boot order and I couldn't select UEFI: "My drive"

I've read that my disc needs to be something caleld GPT instead of MBR, and that EFI install is bugged on the DVD..

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68-V

TL;DR.
    How did you install Windows 8 EFI?

EDIT: Pictures

foto 1.JPG foto 2.JPG foto 3.JPG
    As you can see.. I can't select UEFI from the DVD, but I can select UEFI from the USB (JD Firefly).
    But my USB is only at 2gb, so I can't put Windows over there.
    I have something called "Launch EFI Shell from File System device", but I don't know what that function does :p

2. NoOne2000

NoOne2000 MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2011
    I owned that board in the past,now I upgraded to P8Z77V-DELUXE,to install in uefi mode,simple burn MSDN .iso of windows 8 x64 and press F8 at boot,select UEFI : "optical drive" and install it normaly...make sure your hdd is initialised as GPT,and not MBR...to do so,press Shift + F10 then diskpart,list disk,select disk 0 (check if your hdd is listed as 0 with list disk),clean,then exit and create your partitions normally...

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #3 Shenj, Nov 29, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Drsela

Drsela MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    The dvd DOES have the bootx64.efi file. So you're saying that I should burn "Windows to a DVD, select "Launch EFI Shell from File System device", navigate to the bootx64.efi file and then select it?
    And then it should install Windows in EFI mode?

I was about to follow this guide: How to Install Windows 8 Using the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface" (Google it, and select the first link, couldn't post the link because my post count is less than 20), but I couldn't do it, because I couldn't select UEFI:My DVD Drive with the disc.
    So instead of doing that I could, theoreticly, use "Launch EFI Shell from File System device" and then select bootx64.efi? And then follow the rest of the instructions, and Windows 7 EFI should be installed?

I'm not a native english speaker (or writer :p), so I might have misunderstood you :p

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Drsela

Drsela MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    And fs0 (or whatever the number is) is my DVD drive, right?
    The only thing on my USB drive should be the shellx64.efi?

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #7 Shenj, Nov 29, 2012
    1. Yes, fs0 (or whatever the number is) must be your DVD Drive, as you want to launch bootx64.efi!
    2. Yes, but it doesnt actually matter if you have other files ony our USB stick, it just needs to be FAT32 and have shellx64.efi on the root.

8. Drsela

Drsela MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Okay, thanks for your help: )
    I'll try it in the upcoming weekend.
    Thanks for the help. To both of you :D

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I too had an Asus m/b that didn't have an efi shell & I couldn't boot the dvd through efi.
    I ended up downloading the shell (as described above) & running it all manually...

These steps aren't needed for the newer bios/uefi. Does your m/b have the latest update?
    Their may also be an issue with your burnt dvd.

I had to convert an .img to .iso (tried nero/ultraiso) & found I could not boot in uefi mode only bios/mbr using this converted iso.
    In the end I used the MS too to build the iso & that worked:
    Oscdimg -m -l"HRM_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5" -bootdata:2#p0,e,bD:\Win864BIT\boot\Etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bD:\Win864BIT\efi\microsoft\boot\Efisys.bin -u1 -udfver102 D:\Win864BIT D:\Win864BIT.iso