[Q:] How to stop IE 11 or 10 stealing the focus?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moderate, Mar 29, 2014.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 moderate, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Hello guys,

you probably know, if you download the 5-10 files with IE and you have "display downloaded files" window or "Save as" dialog opened (and typing "save as" filename), IE has very annoying habit to switch to main IE window with each finished downloaded file. (Behavior, when active window is changed without the user intension, is called "Stealing the focus".)

Q1: How can be IE probibited from "stealing the focus"?

After finishing of downloaded file, IE is doing some AV/Smartscreen test of the file, what causes the unacceptable delay. I already disabled Smartscreen filter both in Windows and IE advanced setting, but IE still does this checking.

Q2: Could IE be (and how) prohibited from AV file checking after the file download?

"PLEASE", don't respond with offtopics calls like "Rather use s**tty Chrome application from advertising agency called Google with visually bad font hinting..." etc. We all already know, that Chrome is s**tty application, so we don't use it from principle.

:)

2. hpvn9x

hpvn9x MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    #2 hpvn9x, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    A1: Completely disable SmartScreen: open Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
    SmartScreen.png
    Restart and you'll see like this in Action Center
    ActionCenter.png

A2: Turn on Silent mode or Game mode or sth similar in AV options. If you use only Windows Defender in Windows 8 (and 8.1), you can disable it completely or just limit the maximum size of downloaded files to be scanned (do it at your own risks, virus and malware everywhere)
    WindowsDefender.png

3. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    use Chrome.. it's the best. from principle you shouldn't be using IE, because its from a advertising, privacy invading agency called Microsoft with poor performance and stupid bing. We all already know that IE is a s**tty application, and that's why we use Chrome, or Dragon, or CoolNovo, or Firefox, or.... the list goes on.

don't ask for help while simultaneously off topic insulting another item that millions of people use.. "i don't want to use chrome" would suffice.

now why dont you turn off "notify me when my downloads are complete" and see if that helps. or use a download manager other than IE's built in one.

for the AV scan... disable windows defender.

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #4 moderate, Mar 30, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks for A2a and A2b (actually NOT for A1 and A2) :)))) I'll try that. Until your suggestion I've just used "Do nothing" option in Action Center and disabled "Enable Smartscreen Filter" in IE advanced settings, what wasn't enough... Maybe it is really just like with UAC and it needs to be disabled "completely". :))

Turning off the notifications unfortunately just doesn't display download strip in IE main windows, still it switches to main window from downloads list.

I didn't talked about wish to disable AV real-time engine completely (as it isn't disabled with Opera Presto v12-16 for instance and it still works nicely) or to use 3rd party download manager.

BTW: It is interesting, that even I've told in the 1st post "Please, don't suggest unwanted pseudo-'solutions' like 'use Chrome-rubbish instead'.", still there are stupid people, who do just exactly so.
    More than that, I see, that I'll have to be even more specific next time:

"Please, don't suggest unwanted pseudo-'solutions' like:
    1) Don't use Windows.
    2) Don't use IE.
    3) Don't use real-time AV engine.
    4) Don't use IE download window.
    5) Don't download files at all."

:))))

5. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Suggesting Chrome was satire, because you didn't want it.. but I guess there are stupid people that don't comprehend when they are being mocked.

6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #6 moderate, Mar 30, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks guys for participation (both of you) ;), here are the solutions:

A1: "Stealing focus" can be prevented only by setting these TWO settings together in IE:
    1st:
    \View Downloads\Download options\Notify me when my downloads are complete=Disable
    OR
    \Internet Tools\Advanced options\Browsing\Notify me when my downloads are complete=Disable
    AND
    2nd:
    \Internet Tools\Advanced options\Security\Enable Smartscreen Filter=Disable
    BTW: It doesn't matter if Smartscreen Filter is enabled or disabled in \Control panels\Action Center...

A2: Disabling of checking ALL IE downloads can be done by:
    \Group policy Editor\Computer Configuration\User Templates\Windows System parts\Windows Defender\Scan all downloaded files and attachments=Disable
    (But only in W8-1, W8-0 users are f****d, they don't have neither "Define the maximum size..." nor "Scan all downloaded..." settings.)

Thanks again for pointing me to the right way. I hope, that these settings could be useful for others too.

:)