[Q] Impact on performance by Customizing folder icon

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by netant, Mar 10, 2011.

1. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    #1 netant, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi

Recently i've customized folder icon on root of the drives by using the following code
    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    IconResource=myicon.ico,0
    and saving the files as "desktop.ini" along whith the icon file myicon.ico inside the folder.
    Pixel dimension of each icon is 256 x 256 & filesize = 361KB

I can feel the time increased in browsing the root drives & opening my computer, its taking noticeable amount of time to display all drives/icons. the only changes i have done recently are:-
    1. installing SP1
    2. customizing directories
    3. Adjusting pagefile from "system managed" to "min:1GB max:12GB"

Im wondering if, customizing directory icons affect the performance of the PC ?
    i have over 10 - 15 folder on the root of each drive.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    GPU: ATI HD 5870
    Display: Dell U2410
    HD: WD 320 GB SATA Blue Edition & WD 1TB SATA2 green edition

I dont feel the lag while browsing folder containing 100's of images in large thumbnail, but "my computer" And the root directory of the drives taking atlest 3sec to display drive icons for the first time :(
    Please advice.

PS:- cant turn on the option to show icons instead of thumbnail, i work on photograph & i use that feature browsing images.

2. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    using customized icons is not enough to cause any lag.

what may have caused your lag is your Paging settings.
    switch it back to System managed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    reverted back to system managed.
    will update about the changes.

4. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    Image 2.jpg
    Take a look at my Paging, it helps tremendously, my pc is super responsive!:biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    i set back pagefile to system managed.. but makes no difference :(
    Every icons take time to generate, not able to figure out where the problem is.

6. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    are you running Windows 7?
    if so.. try disabling 'Distributed Link Tracking Client'.
    It tracks files on NTFS HDs, so if you move it, it knows where, and maintains a link to it, even if it's not being used.

Also, are you using a 3rd party app to change the folder icons? if so, is it running all the time in the background?

Also, the icons probably have to be rebuilt/old cache deleted. try emptying the Prefetch folder. there may be old cached icons.

7. lordvj

lordvj MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    #7 lordvj, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    are all those partitions from the same hdd ? then its the worst paging possible

and to the OP : have you tried linking the icons from the registry itself ?

8. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    of course not, why do people always assume they know better? lol

9. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #9 zahnoo, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This happened to me when I removed the arrow from shortcuts. Reversed the tweak to put the arrows back onto the shortcut and problem went away. I seem to remember reading you don't really remove the arrows with this particular tweak, you overlay them. Letting the arrows show also solved the problem of the smallest icon size being nothing but little black squares.

10. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    NO im not doing anything with the current system icons , just customizing few icons.
    It still lag a bit, now im used to live with it :|

11. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010