Q: Modding DELL GX280 bios?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by swartz, Aug 12, 2009.

1. swartz

swartz MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
  2. ifeife2

ifeife2 MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    You're running some enterprise VMWare ESX emulation software but I guess you want to MOD your real bios to trick the licensing on the virtual machines. So I guess this applies to the virtualization topic.

If you search the forum for posts by Yen, he mentions BIOS dumping pretty often. I don't recall what tools he recommends.

3. swartz

swartz MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    You got me completely wrong.

VMware ESXi is the free version of ESX server.
    I'm not trying to emulate any licenses. This is not SLIC mod or anything like that.

I'm trying to add a switch to BIOS (to merely flip a register) to disable the CPUID Limit (google it if you dont know what it is).

Otherwise the ESXi server complains that the computer is incompatible. It does not like limited CPUID setting of BIOS, which I cannot change with stock DELL bios.

4. ifeife2

ifeife2 MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    #4 ifeife2, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Ok sorry for the confusion. Yea, I didn't know there was a free ESX server. And I didn't know what the CPUID limitation is also : )

I have read on these forums that Dell bios's are protected from being flashed. That's kind of bad news. Hopefully you have a machine that is vulnerable to a workaround or some loader to flip that switch in memory before booting the server, hehe.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it may be just easier for some hacker to patch VMWare than patching a protected BIOS.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    swartz, I do not think it is likely

ifeife2, you have it all wrong, it must be the host BIOS, not VM BIOS

sebus