[Q:] Simplest Procedure For Setting Up A Multi-Edition USB-Stick

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Phazor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    The Plan: Create an Allround-Install-Stick specially for Win7.

The Question: What is the simplest way to set up the install-files such that each edition (HP/PRO/ULT) will be automatically installed with the proper SLP Key, Cert and OEM Files.

A short explanation as to what goes where should suffice, im sure i will manage the rest.

Thanks. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ruley

Ruley MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #2 Ruley, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Jinje's DISM tool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    ...doesnt work under Vista because theres no PowerShell on Vista.

Besides, the DISM process is rather tedious and time consuming, not to mention the stress it puts on the harddrive. I already tried that option manually, and for a simple task like adding or changing a productkey the procedure is just ridiculously slow and protracted.

Anyhow, since we arent talking disk, but stick, i found the simplest way to auto-install key, cert and logos is this:

1) Make proper $OEM$ Folder, put it in sources

2) Make PID.txt of edition that is to be installed, put it in sources

Since the logos and the cert never change the OEM folder never has to be touched. And pasting a new PID into PID.txt in case a different edition is to be installed is a matter of seconds. Extra-advantage: You are flexible because you can use the most recent key for an edition without having to redo the entire install-medium. Its merely copy and paste and youre all set for installation...

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Thats correct, the actual key-insertion takes the same time as if you test a key with PIDX. (CPU load goes up for a couple of seconds while the key is being verified.)

So thats definitely not the issue, the time consuming (and disk-stressing) parts are the mounting/catalogizing process (~5 minutes) and especially the commit/unmount process (~20-25 minutes a pop) where the entire wim-archive will be unpacked (which eats up around 5-6GB of drive space) and then repacked.

The commands i used are these:

Now dont tell me there is a faster way (via your tool perhaps?) because i actually had my system drive going through this ordeal three times when i tested this method a couple of days ago...

6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Nope if it takes that long via command line, my DISM sendkeys macro cannot make it go faster. Must be too many things accessing your HDD at once, is it a laptop by chance ?

On second read -

Are you making the edits to the WIM while it is still on the USB drive. Maybe it will run faster if you keep the master copy on the HDD, and make all changes to that copy. Then after you get the changes made, copy the WIM back to the USB. At least the DISM commands will run faster, but the copy the entire WIM back to USB will be god-awful slow.

- FYI -

I am mounting mine inside of FarStone Ram Drive (8GB Memory installed), so I copy my WIM into a RAM drive and mount it, when I commit changes, it takes under a minute. 12GB ram kits (6 2GB Sticks) are around for about $200 bucks, something to think about for next computer you build.

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Nope, as you can see by the commands i did it on the system drive (Hitachi 160GB IDE) and its not a laptop.

(AMD 690G board / Athlon64 X2 3000MHz / 2GB DDR2-800 DualChannel 4-4-4-12)

Computer is pretty fast, RAM isnt even fully used during the process, (i think it wasnt even half), so i think the problem is probably more with the source and the target being on the same physical drive. Putting the mt folder onto one of the SATAII drives instead might help somewhat with speed (and definitely reduce stress on the system disk since it no longer has to read and write at the same time) but im pretty sure it would still take a lot longer than one minute because the source/target seperation will of course only help so much.

Im starting to wonder if i may have done something wrong. I mean the commands are OK, arent they?

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    More Platters the Better.

Actually, it'll go faster if you put the WIM on the SATA II drive and the mount folder on your C: drive. Then all the work is done from the SATA II drive and the OS has the C: drive all to itself.

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Using the PID.txt didnt work. :(

Guess i will have to use DISM'd images after all, or try it via some sort of setupcomplete.

(Or simply get used to using slmgr. After all its just the key.)