Q: win 8 pro (MAK) + wmc genuine upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by testooo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. testooo

testooo MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi,

I just need a confirmation if I buy WMC (Genuine Key ) from MS to upgrade windows 8 pro ( MAK ) , Will it change the Channel from MAK to Retail and I would be able to have free win 8.1 pro update in the Windows store?

as I was reading since yeterday this is the best way to have a free win 8.1 pro update without reinstalling windows and lose everything. as my windows is MAK activated I won't be able to get the free update of 8.1 pro only if my channel has changed.

Please confirm this works ?

Thanks you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No this will not work as its MAK activated & WMC upgrade is for retail copy only....

3. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

thanks for reply ... but I've got the button for "get more features with new edition of windows" otherwise it wouldn't show if I am not allowed to upgrade !!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Ok.. Button is there coz you are using MSDN non VL pro image, MS blocked the activation of system upgraded to WMC form MAK\KMS activated system....

You can test that if you have more than one wmc keys...

5. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    but in this case if I test I might lose the current activation if wmc failed right ?

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    that is correcto:D

7. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Are you serious?:D if you test it on your real system then no simple going back to pro... You can backup you activation before testing...
    it will fail....

8. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

do you recommend me not to do that !!!! because I ordered wmc from MS through the button and its seams there is a problem with the order so may be its due to the case mentioned above that MAK activated systems are blocked for upgrade to WMC by MS? what do you think

cheers

9. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    As Rrohela said and many others have reported, win8 kms activated + genuine wmc lose activation after update to 8.1
    In a VM or another partition, and after backing up your current activation, you could test with no fear

10. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    even if I have a valid wmc key ? the reason I am asking is to avoid re-install windows in case of wmc activation failed so I want someone done exactly what I am asking in the OP and what are the result.

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    That's not what rrohela said, he wasn't talking about the update to 8.1, and you are wrong. rrohela was saying that if you activate Windows 8 with KMS or MAK, and then you update to WMC (which is entirely possible), you won't be able to activate the WMC now.

However, if you already have a system that was KMS activated and upgraded to WMC, and successfully activated a while back, then it can be updated to 8.1 now and it will stay activated.

12. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
  13. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

so microsoft knows about this path then that's why they block it what do you suggest I don't processed with the wmc order from MS ?

14. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    anyone plz ?

15. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I haven't read anywhere that windows 8 KMS activated + genuine recently purchased WMC key (*not* the free WMC upgrade offer key from 2012) won't work? ... my assumption was that it is only the free WMC upgrade offer key that is blocked?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

16. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    someone can just confirm that so I can go ahead with the purchase ... MS is giving me a headache all day its hard even when we want to buy something for real :jumpon:

17. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    MS is not giving anyone a headache. You are trying to activate a pirated copy, that's your problem. For legitimate customers, all procedures are perfectly clear.

Why don't you just go ahead and try, by the way? How much is the WMC upgrade, $10? Isn't that worth an experiment?

18. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    as I said before its not the money it the hassle after I install wmc and it won't activate and I have to do clean install. I don't have 10 computers to test on only bloody an old laptop also I am not like others tech guy I have very limited knowledge in these things and I am trying to get some help from you guys.

19. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If its not money then why not to buy win8 pro upgrade that will save you from all hassles for now & future.

20. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    I am out of the UK for few months, I tried to buy from MS but I ran into problem with MS orders for both WMC and windows 8.1 pro my Credit Card has been blocked by my bank due to this Order although my Bank confirmed that were two transaction have been approved by MS they claimed you are using a Credit Card outside your region is not allowed by MS of course this is nonsense they don't want to admit there is a problem with their order system as usual. also I spent a fortune on phone calls contacting the UK to sort it out. so I Came here to ask for a quick solution that's all.

back to the topic.

as long there is no confirmation from anyone so far, I'd rather wait until I go back to UK.

I appreciate your help :cool: