Q: Win7 & Win Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Aar0nic, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Aar0nic

Aar0nic MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    this is what i've done..

1. Installed fresh copy of Win7 Ultimate.
    2. Installed Daz's Windows Loader (Latest)
    3. Validated at windows validate (Passed).
    4. Tried to update using windows update (Failed).
    5. ???

Can anyone help at my problem?

(I don't know if this post is in correct thread, kindly move it, thank you.)

2. tlstls

tlstls MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    What error did you get when trying Windows Update? Searching for the error code will get you an answer very quickly :)

3. Aar0nic

Aar0nic MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    oh yes.

it was 80072EFE error code.
    I googled it and the majority of fixes came from network issues and rootkits.
    buti I doubt that cause it's a fresh install.
    I even reformatted again to make sure but still no use.

4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Some quesitons :):
    - Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit (x64)?
    - Are you using Windows 7 RTM or SP1 version?
    - Are you using your own disk, or a downloaded copy?
    - If downloaded, is it an official ISO or a modded iso?

5. Aar0nic

Aar0nic MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    thanks for the reply.

- Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit (x64)? - 32bit
    - Are you using Windows 7 RTM or SP1 version? Not sure about it, how do I know? but surely i'm not on SP1.
    - Are you using your own disk, or a downloaded copy? Downloaded Copy
    - If downloaded, is it an official ISO or a modded iso? Official ISO (downloaded from torrent site, comes with loader.)

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Are you sure its a bit identical original ISO? it sounds like its possibly altered in some way.

Also, ideally 64-bit is the OS of choice... 32 bit should only be used if absolutely necessary (old computer, or low spec computers)

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Rebooted the computer?
    I get an error sometimes which is gone after a reboot.

8. Aar0nic

Aar0nic MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    I don't have enough RAM to install 64bit. So 32bit stays in my pc for a while.
    Maybe it is altered in someway. not sure thou.

So maybe i have to download again a new RTM? or with the SP1?
    where to get it? at the thread of The Official Windows 7 Repository?

9. tlstls

tlstls MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    I'd download the untouched ISO and install from scratch :)

This thread has several links from which you can download from:
    hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/25037-Important-info-about-requests-amp-All-Windows-7-SP1-ISO
    (sorry you'll have to copy and paste since I don't have permission to post links :p )

By the way, how much RAM do you have?

10. subpsyke

subpsyke MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    That's modified, not official. If your copy comes with a loader, than it's feasible that it could have other modifications or viruses attached as well. The only way that an ISO is official is if it is completely unmodified and matches the hashes on MSDN.

11. Aar0nic

Aar0nic MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011

Well

I have 2gb or RAM and Intel Pentium Dual Core 3ghz.

does Pentium Dual Core support 64bit?
    and I play some games like WoW. Won't it becomes heavier in 64bit?

12. danger345

danger345 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    what i did to fixs the problem

I was having this problem a week ago i use the microsoft fix it that never work, i try rebootin many times that never work i use a solution where u double click an stop an delete the root2 folder an click an start automatic that 1 never work, but i did a deep reasearch about this problem i found someting where u can fixs this i went to a website name the windows club them have a nice tool what called " Fix WU Utility" will Repair & Fix Windows 7 & Vista Windows Update after u run this program reboot u computer an clik install updates an everyting should be fine. This have nothing to do with tdss rootkitr bc its a fresh install u have.

13. Aar0nic

Aar0nic MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    thanks for the tip. but most likely I am already downloading the untouched RTM version of Win7 Sp1 and will be doing a fresh install of it.

14. DellAcer

DellAcer MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    @danger345,

Thanks for the Fix WU Utility suggestion. I found it on majorgeeks, first search result.

I tried it on my Dell 410 with a hash checked W7 ultimate SP1 install.

No joy, I still get the 80072efe error. I have had this with three installs from different ISO's now on this machine. My other Dell gave the error on the first day, and then, true to M$'s word, the problem went away on its own.

I saw a note that some have had to replace the NIC card to fix this type of problem. My machine is still under warranty for a few more weeks, so maybe Dell will see this as a warranty MB repacement issue - one can hope anyway. :p

I already tried deleting the net driver. Windows restored on reboot, and there is newer version.

I don't have the latest bios, so I'm thinking that upgrading that might help.

15. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    did u try and remove any usb or drive attached to u r unit and update! weird but it does cause hang ups. Good luck

16. Ozymandiass

Ozymandiass MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2011
    Have you checked the date and time on your computer? I seem to remember having issues like that if the time was incorrect.

17. DellAcer

DellAcer MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    @Ozymandiass,

Wow, thanks for the time suggestion! It fixed my update problem, no more errors, a long list of updates!

This is extremely ironic, after all the searches and tweaks, etc., I've gone through. I've done several installs recently, and usually I get the time zone, and time set right the first time. So I didn't notice that I was off by a day, etc. :rolleyes:

@hbhb, and @acern, good suggestions.

18. DellAcer

DellAcer MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    Well,

I was happy to have finally found the all-too-simple solution to the error yesterday, and the machine is still able to get updates.

Then I installed W7 again on my other Dell machine on a different hard drive. This machine is getting updates on the first install (got the error at first, but the next day it was okay, not sure what I did if anything to fix that).

With the new install, I'm getting this error. Of course I checked and realized I had to set the time zone in addition to the time/date. I fixed this, and double checked it several times, but the error persists.

I tried WU fix and even the tdsskiller program out of desperation. No help in this case.

It's a clean install of a hash checked W7/Sp1 with DAZ 2.0.0 loader. The Dell cert, etc. was automatically selected.

I've looked into a few of the M$, etc. suggestions I've seen. I disabled IPv6.

No thumb or card is installed. No firewall or antivirus is installed yet. Just M$. No proxy.

The machine has been shut down and restarted several times in the 10 or so hours since the install. So, if it is a matter of timing or waiting, that hasn't worked so far.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. If/when I find the solution, I'll post what I find.

19. DellAcer

DellAcer MDL Novice

May 14, 2011
    As I looked around, found these links. I haven't tried everything suggested yet.

But it some results mentioning validation bring up a question for me. My loader has set me up as validated, with the "ask for" genuine logo.

I keep seeing directives to validate on the M$ website, but I'm not sure that should need to do that. I've been hesitant to try, in case I get inactivated for some reason. Although some loader instructions mention this, not all do.

So, would "validating" online fix the update issue? Should I have been doing this all along?

20. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    your system will pass validation just fine man with DAZ, no worries in that area however I am not sure it will help with WU; give it a shot. I never had to validate jack to do anything matter of fact.