[Q] Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - Works with Win 7 (activated by Daz Loader)?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by davejunia, Oct 22, 2012.

1. davejunia

davejunia MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    I've hunted around but there seems to be no answer to this question:

Will upgrading to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 installations (activated with Daz Loader) be possible?

I am sure answers to this question will be helpful to many.
    Decisions between purchasing Windows 8 Pro Upgrade vs. Windows 8 Pro System Builder will hinge on this.

Thank you.

2. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Upgrading can be done but you have to activate again in Windows 8 via KMS or Phone.....the loader starts when system boots in Windows 7 and would be uninstalled automatically. Although fresh installation is recommended as many applications are incompatible with windows 8 and upgrade would be possible only when you uninstall them first.

3. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    If you can pass win 7 activation with the latest WGA update installed and "sfc /scannow", you should be good for upgrade editions

4. davejunia

davejunia MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    @disc4
    Yes, systems I have come across using Daz loader have no problems with the latest WGA updates.

@NABAKUMAR
    Could I clarify the following?
    "Upgrading can be done but you have to activate again in Windows 8 via KMS or Phone.....the loader starts when system boots in Windows 7 and would be uninstalled automatically." - This is the scenario for those who upgrade by not choosing a clean install?
    "
    Although fresh installation is recommended as many applications are incompatible with windows 8 and upgrade would be possible only when you uninstall them first." - If a clean install is selected, there won't be hiccups?

Thanks all.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    a clean install would wipe the hdd and install fresh, so there would be no hiccups related to incompatible software installed since it would be gone. As far as upgrading win7 to win8 and having win7 activated by daz's loader should have no effect on win8 install since win8 would need another way of activation anyway.

Win8 will not be activated because it is upgrading a win7 activated system, FYI.

6. davejunia

davejunia MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks. I guess the answer is: A legit upgrade can be done as long as the user selects the clean install upgrade method.

Of course, this topic is on upgrading to a legit copy of Windows 8. So, I'm not expecting an old Win 7 activation to hold for a so called non-legit copy of Windows 8.

I will run some tests on launch day and keep this thread updated.

7. fidof650

fidof650 MDL Novice

May 19, 2010
    I thought this might be useful info though I'm not by any means an advanced user.

I wanted to install a legit copy of Windows 8 Pro upgrade but was running Windows 7 DAZ activated.
    I had a legit copy of the Vista Ultimate Upgrade so, I figured I would just install that and run the 8 upgrade over it. Long story short, the vista upgrade was a nightmare (as expected... hence the DAZ 7) because the XP key I had was for XP 64bit and I no longer have the disk. Microsoft couldn't seem to get hold of a disk or .iso either.... Morons!

I tried a clean install and that wouldn't activate so, I called back again.

Finally, after ripping through several levels of tech "support" they offered an activation solution (involving calling another number and I can only imagine endless stupid questions) which I never needed to use.

Here's why:
    Before subjecting myself to round three of tech support hell I decided to try one more time.
    This time I installed over the previous and unable to activate clean install of the Windows 8 Pro upgrade and it activated without issue.

Steps:
    Downloaded the upgrade assistant and created an installation disk with the "Create Installation Media" option on another computer running Windows 7 DAZ activated.
    Installed Windows 8 Pro upgrade on a clean SSD = Activation FAIL
    Installed Windows 8 Pro upgrade on a SSD with a previously failed attempt = success

Notes:
    I don't remember if I chose to upgrade or clean install on the second attempt but, I'm fairly sure I chose clean install.
    Both rigs are 64bit but the one that created the installation media is running a GA-890FXA-UD5 mobo and Phenom II X4 965 proc.
    The rig I installed it on is running a GA-990FXA-UD7 mobo and Phenom II X6 1100T.
    I have successfully migrated installations between these two rigs in the past just by moving the HDD or SDD so, they are some what compatible and that may have helped.

I don't know why this worked but it has been running smoothly since Nov. 6.
    Maybe one of you more advanced users can explain.

And now a question:
    Am I able to upgrade my DAZ activated Windows 7 with a legitimate Windows 8 Pro upgrade without doing a clean install?
    I know a clean install is always recommended and that some software may not be compatible but I'd like to avoid reinstalling everything if I can.
    Thanks.

~fidof650