query create oem slp cd from vlk cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Hannies, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    Hi,
    I have an old xpsp1 vlk cd which I have slipstreamed to sp3[and which setsup fine-just no valid key].I copied this cd to my desktop harddrive and followed suicide's[thanks] instructions on how to create an oem install cd.
    My award bios contains[checked by oemscan] the hp/compaq string natively and I used the appropriate compressed oembios files for the oem cd[CRC=CD4E1902] and replaced the vlk files with oem files as instructed in his step 4.1 and then made the iso.
    I then tried the cd in virtualbox to test it,but the xppro setup hung at 14% to go whilst "registering components".I then tried a different xppro[slp] oem key from my desktop and the same thing happened.Any ideas?
    tx,
    Tony

2. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    A good idea is to hash check that original XP SP1 VLK cd you have. Confirm that it untouched. If it was "modified", that could explain the error.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try burning cd at a slower speed also you will need to add slp 1.0 to virtualbox if you want to test activation, in fact you should be able to just load the iso file into virtualbox.

4. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    Urie tx,
    I did just load the .iso into virtual box.How do I load slp 1.0 into virtualbox and would the lack of this have caused the setup to hang?
    I notice some other forum comments about royalty oem cds[which is what I've made I guess-see first post] not setting up on virtual machines as they are only for the original computer[in this case the host].Is this perhaps my problem?

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't think slp is your problem all that would happen is xp would not be activated. Read virtualization section i,e, VirtualBox SLP&SLIC.

6. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    hashcheck is ok for both the original sp1 and the sp3 s/stream

7. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Try loading the ISO in VirtualBox, not writing to a cd. That would eliminate the possibility of write errors.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I have never changed the whole list of files in the convert..only four oembios files and changed setupp.ini plus adding .sif file. Maybe he should try changing few things at once to ease TS.

I have had issues years ago trying to change all those VLK files..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    If you go back to my original post you will see that I did download and install the required "oem files".I referred to step 4.1 which is to replace vlk files with the downloaded oem.
    If I have copied too many of the oem files across to the vlk i386,please provide specific instructions on what to do.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    So you have used VLK to PRO OEM files i,e,

next you said you replaced the 4 oembios files with the COMPRESSED ones this is important.

You could download VLK and OEMBIOS changer... (you will find HP/Compaq oem SLP keys) try changing key or just try as 911medic said change setupp.ini plus add winnt.sif. I dumped my copy of xp vlk few years back downloaded xp sp3 pro retail and pro oem msdn versions, you can also just open up the iso file in say UltraISO and replace the files without unpacking to desktop.