Query Regarding The Windows 7 Keys Sold On Ebay

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ipkonfig, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ipkonfig

ipkonfig MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Just now, i came across some people selling genuine, unused Windows 7 keys (for all the editions) on Ebay. The query is..can i order one (of course i know i can), without the fear of the key getting blacklisted. I mean how do these people come across genuine unused license keys?

I am merely being curious .. :)

2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    MSDN keys. Useless.
    They've a limited activation count and are easily blacklisted.

3. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Perhaps their own MSDN or Technet account. $19 for an account and you get 4 keys for Windows 7 Professional Edition. Programmers MSDN gets you 10 keys for each edition plus an unlimited Enterprise one. eBay is not good for keys. Go splash out $19 on a MSDN account.

4. windowz

windowz MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    Tbh I wouldn't trust them just yet, yes they might be MSDN but who is to say they haven't already been used?? Maybe its all genuine but I would wait. :rolleyes:

5. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    you can use the same msdn key if you backup pkeyconfig.xrm-ms tokens.dat do'nt change your hardware to much and you can reinstall as many times you want with the same key offline like a slp key made a litte program to do it for me

6. shady

shady MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    That's a wise decision I say. If you are in a hurry host a win7 houseparty, otherwise wait till end of oct.

7. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Wait...what do you mean by MSDN keys are useless?

So the keys I got from my ACM membership are only usable once? If I reinstall, that means I lose that key?

8. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    It means that once Microsoft catches on that the person is selling their MSDN keys all the keys on their account will be blacklisted.

Your MSDN keys will be fine.

9. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    oh I see. I thought he meant MSDN keys as a whole are worthless. Thanks for clarifying.

But they do work like retail keys, right? Unlimited activations given that the computer hardware doesn't change dramatically? And even then you can activate over the phone?

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #10 Myrrh, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    What's the point... retail keys are defective by design. Sure get one legally, just hang onto it (whether it's MSDN or retail box on your shelf) to legally cover your modded OEM:SLP activated system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Right. MSDN Keys will function just like Retail Keys except for Enterprise which is a VLK.

Unless they've changed it since Windows XP, Retail (and MSDN) Keys are not "Unlimited unless hardware changes".
    I believe they can be used either 6 or 10 (Unsure of the number) times to activate. Though I could be wrong -- I speak only from my personal experience.
    Supposedly, you can back up your key file and replace it after you reinstall to skip the activation. I say supposedly because I've never gotten it to work.

12. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #12 bertmace, Sep 15, 2009
    you can use the same msdn key if you backup pkeyconfig.xrm-ms tokens.dat do'nt change your hardware to much and you can reinstall as many times you want with the same key offline like a slp key made a litte program to do it for me And I do have a msdn 10 times over net 25 times on phone or backup the files that I just show One key one computer this is how to do it pkeyconfig.xrm-ms
    Code:

C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ spp \ tokens \ pkeyconfig

Install Windows 7 as normal. When prompted for a key, enter nothing.

Stop the Software Protection Service (Run> services.msc> select Protection Service Software> Click the Stop Service on the Right

Navigate to C: \ Windows \ system32 \ spp \ tokens \ pkeyconfig

Take ownership of pkeyconfig.xrm-ms (may appear as just pkeyconfig) and give yourself full permissions to it. (Right click on it> Properties> Security Tab> Advanced> Owner tab> Edit> Administrators Click on> OK> OK> OK> OK> Yes then Right Click again on the file, Properties> Security Tab, click on EDIT> click on Administrators, Full Control: Allow> OK> OK)

Delete pkeyconfig. Replace with your backup pkeyconfig

Navigate to C: \ Windows \ ServiceProfiles \ NetworkService \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ SoftwareProtectionPlatform

Delete tokens.dat. Replace with your backup tokens.dat

Now start back up the Software Protection Service.

You can now register using your license key

13. murdercitydevil

Sep 7, 2009
    #13 murdercitydevil, Sep 15, 2009
    All I know is I have retail copies of both XP and Vista, each of which have been reinstalled/activated at LEAST 5-10 times with no problems. My XP disc, which I've had forever now, has been re-used and activated at least 20-30 times, each time automatically over the net. Only with Vista did I have to call their automated phone line, but even then I was talking to a machine and it activated with no problems. Maybe 7 is different...

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, I believe the process was changed with Vista. From what I remember, every time I reinstalled Vista I had to call the hotline and get it activated through that, but either way it still worked. XP though, like I said, seems to have unlimited activations.

14. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007
    #14 delweine, Sep 15, 2009

thats total nonsense.. its a retail key, generated from the same key server they stamp retail versions to be sold on oct.22.

it just amazes me how people go off posting phony information as if they know.

keys are only blacklisted when there are thousands of attempts to activate one..

MS does not know the difference bewteen a retail box version key and technet/MSDN key except for the fact there are no retail keys being sold with "retail boxes" of windows 7 at this time. after the 22nd of oct, its all relative to MS.

15. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007
    incorrect..

never has been done, never will.. blacklisted keys only become that way when the activation server receives far too many requests for activation..

im sick and tired of people not knowing wtf they are talking about with this issue. please stop being ignorant and learn, thanks!!

16. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007
    10 times until you wil be required to call the automated phone activation link to generate a new installation ID.. after this, as long as the activation server does not detect too many requests per day or week, its basically unlimited..

please read my other reply posts concerning MSDN/TECHNET in relation to retail keys, thanks!!

btw blacklisted keys from an msdn or technet account aree not traced back to the account holder, unless the key has received thousands upon thousands of activation attempts.. even then, it takes allot of work to do this for ms, trust me, i know..

the key server on msdn, technet, IS THE EXACT SAME KEY server that STAMPS retail keys on the boxes to be sold as retail..

17. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007

here is someone above who actaully speaks out of experience, not out of their rear ends like some here.

im just so sick of these boards with so called "experts" chiming in with assumptions and ignorant observations.. main reason i rarely post anymore.

18. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    true, the good thing about bios mod/OEM activation is that although a lot of people use the same OEM SLP key, m$ simply can't blacklist them 'cause pc's with pre-installed Win7 use 'em too... :D

btw.. there is nothing to worry about buying a msdn key on ebay. as mentioned in the previous posts

19. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007
    right, as long as the person selling it is not selling duplicates, so people, if they really feel the need to grab one from ebay, just look for a long time ebayer with good feedback and one can be reasonably assured the person is not doing this.

one word of advice however.. if someone plans on selling keys on ebay.. watch out for "strong armers" by this, i mean a buyer who might buy a key from you, then after a few days wants license proof, then says something like " im going to contact microsoft to check this license"

trust me, those pukes exist, and therein is the danger in selling one's keys on ebay.

20. delweine

delweine MDL Member

May 1, 2007
    oh and one more thing about "blacklisted" MSDN Keys.. some time ago, i beleive a person who won an msdn sub posted it all over the web. it was a link that allowed new msdn subs, so keys were basically limited to 10 each per person. i happen to know a person who did this and their keys ARE NOT BLACK LISTED.. ( no its not me, lol!!) although MS shut down the link/account and "scolded" the so called "pirates"

ms does not engage in this type of thing, as i pointed out already, unless again the key authentication server receives tons of activation requests in a certain period from a certain specific key.