Question about 8.1 and WMC.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by nilum, Dec 13, 2013.

1. nilum

nilum MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #1 nilum, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    The latest KMSpico activates Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center with no problems, but you have to install 8.1 with WMC as a fresh installation and not an upgrade. Even if you already have Windows 8.1 installed, in order to KMS activate 8.1 Pro with WMC it requires a full reformat. Once installed, run KMSpico and it will activate no issues. No key is necessary, other than the GVLK key to install the OS.

3. nilum

nilum MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Okay. So I need to get create/find an 8.1 ISO with WMC built-in. Then I can use a normal Pro GLVK key to install?

Can I use MTK 2.5 BETA instead of KMSpico?

Also, does this method create permanent activation or does it require activation to be renewed every so often?

I was under the impression that the "generic activation token" method is permanently activated.

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #4 kelorgo, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    You can install from a retail Windows 8.1 Pro ISO, it doesn't have to be a Pro + WMC built-in ISO. As long as the Pro ISO you use is a retail version and not VL, you will be able to add the WMC feature after installation. What key you use during installation does not matter. After installation, you can always change to the Windows 8.1 Pro default key, and you will be able to add the WMC feature with a couple of clicks, without needing to activate Pro first.

KMS activation tools such as KMSpico or MTK 2.5 Beta will activate Pro WMC, but since KMS is not designed as a permanent activation, you have to reactivate every so often.

The "generic activation token" method gives you a permanent solution, but requires a legitimate WMC key.

5. makisxxx

makisxxx MDL Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Hello all
    BTW is there any chance to get a download link for a Complete Windows 8.1 Pro + WMC.iso? not torrents or this AIO.isos that fly arround the web.i need a original W8.1+MCE.iso without installing afterwards the MCE with my legit keys.any idea where? :worthy:

Thank you

6. nilum

nilum MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
  7. makisxxx

makisxxx MDL Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Thank you nilum :):):)

8. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    This does not work. When I try to add features, it asks to activate Windows first.

If I change the license key from Retail to VL and then activate, then it says this version of Windows does not support "add features".

So either way is a dead end, unless I am wrong.

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep that's the Pro one, in the Add Feature Window enter the one for ProWMC ending with JK7QT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    If you are trying to use a WMC upgrade key from Microsoft, then that's the expected behaviour. You are entitled to a WMC upgrade only if you also have a legitimate (activated) Pro installation.
    Again, that's the expected behaviour. Only retail customers are entitled to use a WMC upgrade, volume license customers are not.
    You can use the default WMC product key (..-JK7QT), which does not expect the Pro version to be activated first.

12. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes that is exactly what I was trying to do - use the WMC key which I got from Microsoft ages ago. Now I used the key that ends in JK7QT and the add feature worked like a charm :)

Once again, you guys just know everything!!! :worthy:

So, what is the meaning of life then?

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  14. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes that is what happened. Obviously WMC key is retail, so KMS could not activate it, but changing that key to the "generic" volume license key (ending in J8D3P) did the trick!

Just one curious thing though, the activation by KMS is only for 45 days instead of the usual 180 days. Why?

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Because that edition was never meant to be activated by KMS. A true KMS server will reject to activate. The emulators can do it, but with the penalty you observe. Just enjoy that it does work at all! ;)

16. bluenote73

bluenote73 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2014
    I've got an 8.1 pro install that was activated with pico, and I only later realized WMC was going to be a problem. How can I salvage this install?
    I tried to follow along above and found the product keys mentioned, but apparently I don't have enough knowledge to do it properly.
    When I try to install 8.1 WMC key, it tells me, "the software licensing service reported that the product SKU is not found"
    Can somebody give me some hints?
    thx

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    What's the actual problem? The Updrade to WMC? All info is already given.