Question about cpu upgrade.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Xplay, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I want to upgrade my computer and get the most out of its before it time for a new one. I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor. My question is would I be able to upgrade to AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ with this motherboard?

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    i would suggest to look on the Asus site at you mobo then look for CPU compatability to find which chips will go in your board.

A couple of years ago i started to build my own system and started with a really good board and every now and then i put better things on in.
    Without forgetting about better Heatsinks and PSU's if you put in a better chip it might need a bigger fan and heatsink which inturn may need a bigger PSU.

Check these out too..

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If the cpu in question is not shown as supported by your mobo manufacterer then IMO you should stay away from it. It may well be the same size socket but if its not in your mobo's cpu support list then it probably means that your BIOS wont support that chip either. Be wise and spend your money on alternative chip that is supported. :):D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    exactly...he said it would fit, not that he got it to work...stick to the program.....:cool:

6. SLICuser

SLICuser MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2009
    #7 SLICuser, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    If you can find a old 939(AM1) AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 it should work. The problem is all the CPUs on the market are AM2 or AM3, and locating one will cost you a premium. Also too many sellers don't know s**t about their stuff, and that makes life even more difficult.

If you truly feel the need look for a "Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+rev.E6 (Socket939)" which is the fastest asus states is supported.

I would wait a month or two and get a new Intel when all the 775 stuff goes clearance. (Intel is ramping up the I5/7 and starting the old stuff cleanse.)

7. Xplay

Xplay MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Yeah, did some research and found out how hard is really is to find a 939 socket processor. I'm going to just overclock it and see how far I can go once my new cpu fan get in. Its just about that time for a new build anyway just figure I try and get the most out of what I have now since it still can handle all my needs. Thanks for everyone's replies.