Question about disabling UAC

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Super Spartan, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So as I know, if I want to run an installer or program with full admin rights, I have to right click and choose RUN AS ADMIN

But let's say I disabled UAC. If I simply double clock on an installer/program will it run with full rights or do I still need to right click and choose RUN AS ADMIN but I simply won't get the UAC prompt?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Best be is to just put the UAC slider at the bottom. In any case you still must right click and choose run as admin. If you totally disable UAC from the registry you will not be able to run any of the Windows Modern apps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    unlike 7 here it's not disabled completely, to do that you'd have to use the administrator account or I think there's a registry thing, 7 disabled it completely then with 8 onwards it changed

4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    The first thing I do when I install Windows is to uninstall all Metro Apps using CCleaner ;)

5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So this means, I still need to right click and Run As Admin if I want to give an app full permissions heh? the only benefit here is that I don't see the prompt right?

6. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    When you completely disable UAC (EnableLUA == 0) everything will run with a non-filtered user token (i.e. everything will automatically "run as admin").

Which of course would be a stupid thing to do.

7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    right, so the best way is to disable UAC normally through Control Panel not through the registry tweak, then go to compatibility settings of the programs I want to run as admin and set them to always run in admin mode. That way, only certain programs run as admin mode without giving me the annoying prompt.

8. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Even if you disable the UAC you still have to right click and "run as admin" anyway. Because UAC have nothing to do with the admin right.

Lievre

9. ctx3

ctx3 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2015
    not true. when disabling uac, the program executed automatically runs with admin privileges. 99.9% sure of this one.

10. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    No, because that would allow any running program to set the "always run as admin" flag in the registry for itself (or anything else, really) and subsequently have it executed with admin rights without prompting.

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I put the slider down to Never Notify, and disable the reminders that I have it set that way. I don't worry. I am happy.