Question about electricity

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Fly3, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I have an electric water pump motor and it feeds from my home power so when it run I see my room lights flashing a little bit just like the air conditioner does so my question is this could cause any damage to my computer ?

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I don't have to make the air conditioner run always so its not a problem but the water pump motor it has to be running most of the day
    the power doesn't affected that bad to make the computer reboot or turned off but I can see my home light fading just for a 'too' little time almost unnoticeable when the electric motor run.
    and I have a 0% knowledge of electricity :D

4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Every quality power supplies have 2 big capacitors that can handle those small power surges. Unless your system shuts down or crashes right after your motor/ac starts running, I don't see any problem on it.
    Still, If you have 3 phase electric power at your home, you should separate the water pump and other power hungry devices from the other appliances at your home.

5. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I have a HP computer with its own power supply 320W and what about the LED monitor too ?
    And I don't know what is the 3 phase electric power

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Very few residential homes have 3 phase power, You'll see 3 phase used mostly in industrial/commercial applications.
    You need to have a Uninterruptible Power Supply in order to get clean volts to your pc. It'll regulate the voltage going into your pc's power supply, it'll help keep things like capacitors from popping open

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #7 tonto11, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Put a voltmeter preferably not a digital one on the system and see how much the voltage dips when the pump starts

Room lights should not dip objectionably when a modern motor starts
    old motors say 50yr old on the other hand have a significantly larger starting current
    I've got a 1/3 hp water pump that refuses to start on a 100ft line to the well , where a modern 1/2 hp pump
    barely dims the bulb.
    In the 1950s when TVs first came out the horizontal oscillator would sometimes stop on a voltage dip
    from one of these motors and the picture would collapse
    this led to complaints to the power utilities and someone would have to go out and explain what was going on

Like tigtex says computer power supplies use large capacitors to smooth the dc output to the computer and these can supply power to carry the voltage over the motor starting fluctuation.
    If you are worried about this use a notebook computer which carries it's own battery

...T

8. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    #8 Fly3, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    (OP)
    sometimes power goes unstable and it does multiple frequent room lights flashing for a too little time and PC still running but those times its not the motor or anything because of me so .. How much time does capacitors take to recharge again ? I mean these in the computer and monitor.