Question about "hosts file"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mowerman, Sep 16, 2020.

1. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I have a new printer that wants to "phone home" providing new drivers and usage statistics along with trying to sell subscriptions to ink by recording usage. How can I prevent the printer from phoning home to report these things?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    To restrict or block something, you must first know how your printer does it, ie "calls home".
    Only when this is known can something be blocked.
    Even less can anyone give some advice if we don't even know what kind of printer it is, who is the producer, is it online printer or not etc.
    So, the first thing to do is provide the data and only then can somebody decide on something.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010

It's a Canon TR8620 attached to my computer via USB. I have no idea "how" it communicates other than through the internet,sorry.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use fiddler to intercept the communication, and use the IP address to block it however you like.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Won't that cause any future vulnerabilities security wise?

6. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
  7. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Thank you very much!

8. Uky

Uky MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    A friend of mine installed a new printer. Went along and registered it in order to claim possible future warranty issues.
    At one point, he discovered that an e-mail prompted him to order new toner. The printer had "communicated".
    So he blocked internet access from the printer.

Some time later, an e-mail arrived with a message text something like
    "We have noticed that you have not connected the printer to the Internet. Be so kind to reconnect it."

9. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012

This is NOT how it works LOL...seriously...either a bad translation error...or a support guy "studying" internal databases with serial numbers, stalking your friend... x'D

If you register with your email, you get annoying emails by the printer guys...yes...but not them asking to reconnect a device back to the internet...never, ever.

The printer will check automatically for firmware updates, if enabled...and the "printer guys" might be able to see it...but never ever did your friend recieve such an email.

And yes, if you installed printer apps, you get annyoing messages and "real" messages inside of windows,
    like, if your toner is empty...epscially brother, hp and epson will try to lure you on their sites to purchase new, original toner.

But no, they dont send out messages like "your printer cant be found on the internets anymore, please reconnect it"

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @itsmemario1
    Don't mess. I have such a story. As I turn on the Internet, I start receiving notifications that I need to replace my chair.
    Really interesting how they still know I already have a pretty old chair . Apparently the chair calls home when I'm online.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Other than Microsoft Windows OS, I never let the following items communicate with the respective manufacturers via the internet:

laptop and desktop computers (such as HP, Lenovo, Asus, Acer, Dell, etc.)
    printer
    scanner

I manually check for firmware updates of the above items, including BIOS update, once a month. It is not that difficult to do.

But Asus is getting smart. It pushes its bloatware through Windows Update. About three times a month, my girlfriend's laptop computer receives Asus' bloatware.

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I saw something similar to this recently. The bloat & drivers started downloading as soon as the PC got an IP. It was too quick for WU or Store updates. I didn't investigate though as it was an urgent build with no OS...

13. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
    As stated previously, Asus' bloatware is served via Windows Update. You know what? Upon digging further, I found out that Asus executables, even though they are part of bloatware, are digitally signed. That is why Asus is able to force its customers to download and install its bloatware through Windows Update.