Question about Laptop RAM!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MrRTM, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have Asus G75VX laptop which came with 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM (Pre-Installed 2 Dimms x 4 Gigs each)

AND

I had RAM from my older laptop G73SW which had 8 Gigs DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

So I Added 4 Gigs of RAM from older laptop to my new Laptop (2 Dimms x 2 Gigs each)

Now I have 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 MHz + 4 Gigs DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

So my question is that is it good combination in terms of performance? I know 8 Gigs in general is enough for nearly everything. So should I takeout that 4 Gigs 1333 MHz? Is it impacting laptop performance? Though I haven't had any problem running laptop from last 4 months......

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I believe you answered your own question.
    if anyone would notice a difference in performance, it would be you after that amount of time. ;)

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The difference would be:
    1. if the memory banks are the same model (no.) and size they would run in Dual Channel mode
    2. if the memory banks are different brand at same size they would run in Single Channel mode
    3. if the memory banks are different size, regardles brand and/or model they would run in Single Channel mode

In Dual Channel mode you'll have a slightly improve in performance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Lol @ brand changing speed.
    That is a myth.. The cas speed and so is what matters.
    I run different brands and get dual chan speeds. (it shows dual chan on post)

keep bringing that post count up lol. :rolleyes:

the 1600 vs 1333 is different speed so no dual chan.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Er........:D

Slightly could be just 1% or less!!:biggrin:

Sure case latency (CL) could be a bigger difference! But also, if not the same Model and size, it's just the lowest/slowest one which will affect the system and not the faster! If you of your Memorybank has CL24 and is 1333 and the other has CL9 with 1600, the 2. will be downgraded.

For Dual Channel everything should be the same: Model, size, CL, speed and chips. Real Dual Channel sold as Pairs. But, if the quality is Ok, you could even use singel channel as dual as long as the chips, size, speed, CL and brand is the same, have to be tested for to be sure!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Brand has nothing to do with it
    Speeds and size.

Do u not get what I'm saying? :vertag:
    I have used different brands same tech specs and shows dual chan.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Haven't you read:

I wouldn't deny that's possible if the architecture of the PCB and the technical spec of content are the same, that it maybe could used as Dual Channel. Many of those memory banks are produced by the same company with different brand names. Mitsumi in Johor Bahru is such company and there many more.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its hard to read your google tranfookerations

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    DITO! Same your's, for an native English speaker full with typos!

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    lol .. i speak spanish originally .. what typos ? transfookeration is a typo ? lol troll on .. troll on :worthy: