Question about MAK keys

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Michel, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi people,

I have a question about MAK keys, what if the limit has been reached with those keys ? can a pc that runs a MAK key activate with the same key again after a format ? (because it use the same pc/laptop) or are the keys just out of limit ???. Also what if i save tokens.dat and pkeyconfig.xrm-ms (if it is there) will that keep the pc activated after a format if a key is out of limit ?

2. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I have two and readed it was 500 a peice

3. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I know that, i want to know what happens after the limit has been reached. Is it possible to use the same key after a format on the same laptop/pc and will it activate ? if not is it possible to back it up ?

4. Johny23

Johny23 MDL Member

Sep 3, 2009
    #4 Johny23, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    MAK Technology... has its limits..

From what I've been reading and researching on this latest technology, The Multiple Activation Keys Technoloy, offered by Micorosoft, I'll be glad to respond and elaborate in detail..:eek:

Basically dude, the MAK technology has been developed by Microsoft along with KMS (Key Management Service) technolgy for companies and enterprises indeed.. In other words, both technologies are intended to be used for Volume Liscening, or Volume Activation respectively..

As for their deployment, both technologies can be used by companies and enterprises.. however, there are differences.. I won't go deep in these details unless you ask for them..

Multiple Activation Keys Technology: Why Use MAK?

Primarly, the technology was launched to counter previous volume keys leaks experienced in previous editions of Windows, such as Windows XP. This technology is an expertise at executing this as it's a once and for all activation method.. By this I mean that Microsoft developed this technology so that once a PC is activated, the user would not need to reactivate his system unless his hardware changes significantly..

Thereby, in case of key leakage, Microsoft would simply blackilst the leaked key and hand the company another key. However, what does make this new technolgy special is the fact that the PCs activated earlier with the very same key at the company do not need to be reactivated as it was done earlier with previous editions of Windows.. Thereby, Microsoft can easily block any leaked key instantly without causing any harm to the company, which proves it superb to earlier technologies.. ;)

Activation Limits:

I'd like to commence by saying that this technique does indeed has its limitations.. This is because companies buy a certain nuumber of licenses only, depending on their needs.. For example, a company with 60 PCs would request a 60 activation counts key.. and so on.. It's worth mentioning that Microsoft offers more than the requested number of licenses as a safety factor..

However, as the PCs are being activated using the MAK key, information about the PC's hardware is collected first and sent to Microsoft and stored there on their server.. In case of a format, the key can be normally entered, I suppose, and the PC's Properties would be compared to the info collected earlier during the previous activation.. If they match, then bingo.. Unless the hardware is modified noticeably, you will need a new MAK key for activation..

So once the counts are out, the key turns useless to us.. it only serves those with activated systems..:rolleyes:

If you'd like further explantion just ask.. I'll be pleased to explain..

Respectively..:cool:

5. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    how many on a msdn mak key

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks Johny for the information. :cool:

7. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Yes you can backup MAK activation on your PC by official method - using VAMT 1.2. And using unofficial method - backuping key and tokens.dat (pkeyconfig.xrm-ms doesn't need to be saved/restored because it is as is and never changes, only updates with SP's).

8. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Ah, tokens.dat will be saved then ;)

9. jess_

jess_ MDL Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #11 jess_, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Greetings Michel

In several places of the MDL forum, has written this commentary

This is a mistake, you need add the information of the register (+ restore tokens.dat + MAK key)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA for restore the activation.

The problem then is how to perform the restoration:
    to enter information in the register you must use the DVD (windows 7)

-1- repair
    -2- cmd
    -3- regedit
    -4- you need to import info WPA (First charge the branche ---> windows\system32\config\system)
    -5- add info and keep to changes

in windows vista this operation works perfectly

good luck
    PD PD you can try this operation in a virtual machine or after backup in real machine