Question about partitions on a fresh install (urgent)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by a123179, Aug 20, 2014.

1. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    #1 a123179, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    I'm making a fresh install of Win8.1Pro WMC on a laptop which came with Win8 Core, and there are already 5 partitions; my questions is: can I delete all of them (with 'Delete' button)?
    (image from the web) //d1w7qrd4o9i865.cloudfront.net/files/img/inst_win8_clean/iw88.png

There are 1 for EFI, 2 for restore, 1 for MSR, 1 for primary

Shouldn't all of them be recreated?
    Except maybe 1 for restore that is 8GB and could be Win8 dvd..

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #2 murphy78, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You should read the sticky on preserving OEM activation before touching it.
    EFI is your system partition that contains the boot information and is fat32 formatted.
    MSR is handled by the system for the GPT partition scheme.
    system partition is where Windows is installed.
    Windows RE partition (350ish mb one) is where Windows Setup copies the winre.wim, and is always in a subfolder such as "\Windows RE"

The other remaining partition is the factory restore image. I would seriously avoid deleting this one unless you know what you're doing.
    You don't technically need it if you have your OEM key and the bios tables intact, but it would make it impossible to restore your system to the shipped condition if you delete it.

It should be noted that if you delete the rest and run setup, it will not automatically associate recovery with that partition.
    You would need to mount the partition by using diskpart, something like this:
    Code:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition 5 (whichever is the 2-4ish GB one that is your recovery partition)
    assign
    exit
    Then when it has a drive letter assigned, you run reagentc and point it at the ospartition (your factory reset partition)
    Firstly you need to navigate into the newly assigned drive and find the folder name the install.wim or whatever it's called is in.
    Remember this next command should only be used after deleting the other 4 partitions and re-installing Windows:
    NOTE - You need to use admin command prompt on this (winkey+x then a)
    Code:
    reagentc /setosimage /path Y:\Recovery /target C:\Windows /index 1
    You need to replace the Y:\Recovery part with the actual path of the folder containing the install.wim I just discussed.

Again, read the preserving OEM sticky before messing with any of this.

3. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    #3 SpeedDream, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    i bought a efi notebook deleted all partitions with disk part clean command
    and then let windows create the 4 partitions automatically when asked
    if you don't delete everything you still have boot assigned to that OS

start windows' dvd and when you reach partitions press shift and f10,
    in command type:

Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0 (0 usually is the main hard drive)
    clean
    close command prompt and install

4. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    Well..I think I'll do it tomorrow! Not so urgent anymore!
    I already read the OEM backup thread, and I don't think I will ever restore it to the shipped condition.
    However can the built-in image backup of Win8 make a backup of all the partitions?
    If I delete every partition, something like the BIOS how will be inserted in my pc?!
    Also EFI shouldn't be different in appearence from old BIOS? In this partition setting I read EFI, but my BIOS looks the same as the old one (not mouse pointer for example)

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, you don't actually need to backup the entire drive. You just need to copy that install.wim in that recovery partition and you can point the reagentc at that, anytime.
    You see what I'm getting at? You can just stuff that install.wim on a dvdr and copy/paste it to a drive to use it.
    You just need to know that you can never have the restore image on the system partition where windows is installed, so you either need to shrink the partition with diskmgmt.msc and create an extra one,
    or you can put it on a different hard drive.

I'm not sure if you can just point reagentc at the install.wim on the dvdr.
    There's a rule that the osimage and reimage have to be in a subfolder, so if it works on a dvdr you'd have to put it in a folder.

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Just in case i would recommend you make the FACTORY RECOVERY. if you screw up then you always have the ability to RECOVER.
    and some UEFIs are different from others... not all work the same, due to Manufactures have the ability and rights to modify as they see fit...
    many Acer and HP users have found out the HARD WAY....
    it never hurts to be overly cautious.

7. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    Here I am in need of help!

I would like to make a clean install, therefore I'm thinking of delete every partition.
    Which will be recreated on install?
    Is BIOS/EFI included in these 5? Is a good idea to not touch this one since it shouldn't change switching to 8.1Pro?

What's this 'bios tables'? I need it only to restore the pc to the shipped condition (which is a very remote possibility)?

Shouldn't this be recreated on a fresh install after deleting every partitions?

8. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Recovery 300 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 System 99 MB 301 MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 400 MB
    Partition 4 Primary 930 GB 528 MB

here I send you default windows partitioning like i have is a 1tb drive with default partition,
    regarding the recovery why recover all the crap the install? delete it you can
    get info about your key is stored in bios under MSDM and you can find it with aida64
    here's mine (deleted part of my key, it's a windows 8.1 core singlelanguage key
    LxOgIDw.jpg

cheers