Question about Phoenix Platform Data

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by turbo-donkey, Jul 12, 2010.

1. turbo-donkey

turbo-donkey MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    Hi, I've been lurking around here for a while, and have managed to mod AMI/Award/Dell & ~50% of the Phoenix BIOS's I have come across (the info available on this forum is excellent), unfortunately only my old VAIO has a BIOS download available for it (which modded perfectly incidentally...) My newer VAIO is SLIC 2.0 and there is no update available...

My question is could the platform data be transplanted from another BIOS update if the flash chips match? or is it not that simple?

I.E. My VAIO has no bios download, but my other phoenix based laptop does and it has the same flash chip as my VAIO. Could I back up my VAIO bios and use the platform data from the other laptop's BIOS update??

(This is a hypothetical question)

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It should be possible if:
    -The platform data is at the same format (there are different Phoenix bioses e.g. old and new style)
    -the flash chip is the same to instruct.

The pure bios rom data is a integer multiple of 256 KB of data, the excess is usually the platform data (appended)...you would need to cut it and to append to the backuped rom.

I have tried that already at a Lenovo model at which no update was available also. I have grabbed the platform data of a similar model and have appended it to the currently backuped rom data.

Unfortunately the flash tool reported an error, I guess it was because of a different bioschip. I could not check for the bioschip since I didn't own the Notebook....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. turbo-donkey

turbo-donkey MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    I will endeavour to find two models with the same flash chip so I can test out my theory, maybe someday a collection of phoenix platform data could be maintained to assist the flashing of awkward Sony/phoenix models...

4. Mdluser45

Mdluser45 MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Had the same problem with VGN-FZ series. Mine is a vgn-fz140e with slic 2.0. Sony provided no bios update so i was forced to look elsewhere: ht_p://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/429745-windows-7-64-bit-clean-install-guide-fz-190e-29.html provided some downloadable modded bios for FZ1, FZ2, and FZ3 series. These links were pulled off a chinese website. Used the flasher(winphlash) provided in windows (not dos) and so far everything seems to work (slic 2.1, win 7 activated). There's definitely more than one way to skin the cat...:cool: