Question about product keys

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by dauntless101, Mar 2, 2010.

1. dauntless101

dauntless101 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    I have a whole doc file of various product keys for Windows Operating Systems and other Microsoft software such as Vista, Windows Server, etc, and I noticed that lots of them are labeled as different languages, being for service pack 1, amongst other stuff.

My question is, will the keys work universally with each software type? For example, I know that a key will work the same for a 32-bit version of an OS as well as a 64-bit version, but if a key is a Vista SP1 key, do you HAVE to use a Vista SP1 ISO/disc with that key or will a Vista SP1 key work with both copies?

Similarly, if I have a key that is for the Japanese version of Vista Business, will it activate the same on a regular English copy?

2. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    A key is only specific to a version, e.g. professional, ultimate....etc, not languages, 32/64 bits nor service packs. Read the stickies in the forum!!!

3. dauntless101

dauntless101 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking for those stickies but I don't see anything that's relevant to that. Could you point me in the right direction? Also, I know that that is true for Vista/Windows 7 but is the same true for XP? A French or Japanese XP Pro key will work fine with the English disc? Or key that was designated SP1/2/3 will work with a non-corresponding disc?

4. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    The key collections in the stickies tell you by themselves!!!

Just help yourself by asking the question to yourself, are they by language, SPs, or 32/64 bits??? Remember they are working keys!!!