Question about upgrading bios on an already activated system

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mx_maniac, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mx_maniac

mx_maniac MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    So if a system was already successfully activated with the slic table, slic cert, OEM activation key etc. But you want to update to the most recent version of the bios, how difficult is it? Is there anything that can go wrong?

It has been a long time, I've somewhat forgotten how the process works, but when you reflash to the most recent bios, won't that likely overwrite the slic cert thats in there, and you will have to reinsert it? And if so, couldn't there potentially be problems getting into windows to do so?

Or perhaps since the key is inserted seperately, does that mean you can just reflash the bios to the latest modded version without worries about any certs or keys getting changed or overwritten?

Thanks.

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    You need to redo the mod with the latest BIOS. Otherwise you'll get the activation nag...and possibly shutdowns every hour...not sure since I've never been in that situation.

Also, if you don't want to go through the hassle of re-running all the activation steps (i.e. slmgr), then make sure you redo the BIOS mod with the exact same SLIC.

3. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    andyp tools listed in this forum make modding quite easy, in most cases. I've done a couple myself, with no previous experience

4. mx_maniac

mx_maniac MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I had been worried that if windows sees the system becomes unactivated, that it might lock you out, but I guess if it just gives an activation nag or shutdowns after an hour, then that gives plenty of time to tinker with inserting the keys.