Question About Win7 license key.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alien1, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Alien1

Alien1 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    I have a Dell Inspiron which came with Windows 7 Home Premium, unfortunately the motherboard took a dump. Dell is taking it back under warranty and says it will be 4-6 weeks before it gets returned. Ok my question is can I install Windows 7 on another one of my computers and use the Dell license key and have it as a genuine copy? Since I do own that copy of Windows it should be legally OK right?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    You probably can since keys arent locked to any specific brand or so, just edition.

Altho i woudnt try that.. just in case.

3. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    If it's the CoA key (from underneath the machine) you will have to phone to activate. Tell them you have a dell, you had a virus and had to reinstall.

If it's the SLP key (pulled from a keyfinder), you would need the other prereqs for SLP activation (cert, either SLIC2.1 BIOS or loader)

4. Alien1

Alien1 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks guys, I think I will just rearm my eval copy till I get back my Dell. I also noticed before sending it out there is NO COA sticker anywhere on my Dell , not that that really matters to me, but will give Dell a call to see why they never placed a sticker on my machine. I also Called MS and said that ONLY if the machine were Dell installed the OEM is no longer functioning, I may then reactivate on another machine via their phone activation since I still own that copy of Windows, so in a way thats good news. Again thanks to both of your responses.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #5 urie, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    You didn't mention Model number or if this was Dell Inspiron Laptop or Desktop if it is desktop you do not have COA Key you have Windows 7 Home Premium OEMAct Key I,E, SLP key it is situated on top of your case towards the back.

6. Alien1

Alien1 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    It is a Laptop.

7. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Not legal as in complying with the license. Probably work if you are talking about the key from the computer that is for online activation but a definite violation of the license agreement.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't think COA Key would work on another machine also his support is from dell not M$ infact did M$ not do away with COA activation after Window XP SP1 or 2. because peeps could go into computer store and copy key from COA sticker i may be wrong here.

9. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    XP I've activated CoA keys online no problem. Windows Vista and Windows 7 I believe require phone-activation. Again, give them a sob story about having to reformat due to a virus.

CoA is the key on a sticker on the computer, regardless of whether it's laptop or notebook. And from large OEMS they have the CoA key which is unique and different from the SLP key they use to image the machines.

In all cases a violation of terms. It is supposed to only be used on the computer it was attached to.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    The key on my dell Optiplex desktop has a professional key that is not in repository.

12. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Beacuse its not a OEMSLP key..
    The ones on the sticker is OEM only..

Or did you mean the installed key? :p

13. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I know it's not an OEMSLP key, it's urie that was claiming it was. I said
    The installed key on that machine is also an XP VLK because work is stuck in 2001.

14. Alien1

Alien1 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Well I called M$ and like many here mentioned it is against their policy, to use the key for another machine while the other machine is still legally active, they told me I can install Windows 7 if I wanted and use the rearm method till my laptop gets returned to me from Dell. The woman did mention that if the computer went totally dead I could use their phone activation and tell the service rep what happened and they will provide me with another key. But for now just wanted to say thanks to all who responded and gave their accredited knowledge.

P.S. Dell told me they no longer are putting these COA stickers on laptops, and gave me some reason I don't comprehend.

15. devans123

devans123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Sounds like Dell was being helpful, good to see.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I didn't say it wasn't OEM NON:SLP
    I was talking about new dell desktops at that time you never mentioned whether your machine was laptop or desktop.

17. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    This will help you understand the difference between a OEM:NONSLP and OEM:COA keys.

The key that comes on a sticker is a OEM:COA key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...