Question about Windows 8 log in process? Doesn't ask which account to log into?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by x-project, Nov 23, 2012.

1. x-project

x-project MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2010
    I have 2 user accounts on my computer. Mine has a password and the other one doesn't. When I log onto the second account and restart my computer it automatically logs back into the second account without asking me which account to log into, like in previous version of Windows. When I log into my account and restart my computer the log in screen shows a my account and a back button (<-). When I press the back button then it shows both accounts.

What I want is for the log in screen to show all accounts and ask me, each time I switch on the computer, which account to log onto. Like in Windows 7. Is there anyway?

Thanks in advance!

X-Project signing out...

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You must have an password for each user. If you didn't, that user could logon automatically without any Administrator privileges.

But you could try the following:
    1. press Win Key + R
    2. type netplwiz and press Enter
    3. go to Advanced
    4. check in Secure sign in: Require users to press Crtl+Alt+Delete
    5. press OK
    Check it will works now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The easiest solution is to assign a blank password for the second account, so Win8 will show you every time the Login screen. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    try this:

open control userpasswords2 from run and enable users must enter username and password option.