Question around HWID and PC update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bluescreen, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Hi,
    I am wondering what can happen with my Windows(s) 10 activation if I update the BIOS of my Motherboard ?

I have a "Home made" PC with a Gigabyte Mobo and UEFI Bios. I need to update my BIOS to correct some issues with the Processor.
    If I update the BIOS, I suppose the HWID of the machine will change. What is the risk to see my Windows 10 deactivated ?

(Legit Windows 10240 + Insider 10565 ) on separate HDD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lod1

lod1 MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2015
    I've updated my bios without issue.

3. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks, I will wait just 24 hours other confirmation and will do it. :)
    We never know in advance what will happened with MS , some have been deactivated by just cloning an HDD to SSD... And HDD don't seems in the list of HWID !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    So you have a real computer. The HWID has absolutely nothing to do UEFI options, Firmware, you can mod even the SMBios, CPU Micro code, UEFI updates do NOT change the HWID.

5. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I changed my CPU,GPU,SDD,HDD and flashed new firmware to my bios/SSD without any activation problems.

As far as I heard changing the motherboard or ram ammount should break the activation.

6. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks guys :)
    I will do that now.
    It was not very clear, you can find everything right or wrong even on MS sites or blogs ... :D

7. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012

Don't be silly - I agree that changing motherboard will will affect but RAM is frequently upgraded so increasing or decreasing RAM will not affect the Activation.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I've had an motherboard which had a working HWID but the onboard LAN whas disabled and after a clean HWID with the disabled onboard LAN the HWID whasn't legit anymore. It took a new win 7 daz > 10 upgrade session te create a new HWID (i did it for both, Home and Pro so it is future safe :)

9. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Do you mean same machine?:confused:

10. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Well, someone here or on another forum (can't remember) upgraded his ram from 8 to 16GB replacing all ram sticks and his activation was gone with the wind. :)

11. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012

I frequently upgrade systems from 4GB to 8GB, 2GB to 8GB, 6GB to 8GB, 8GB to 16GB etc. but not faced any activation problem yet.:D

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    The windows follies. Amazing how some have cloned, changed memory, GPU, and gotten deactivated and others not a problem. I have tried to tell people to clear the key and allow it to activate, but haven't received responses.

Someone with a genuine 7 or 8.1 that can't get it to act can call MS, as only a MOBO change violates a OEM, unless it's a MFG replacement, and retail versions can move around. I suggest anyone not upgraded from a genuine, should run the gatheros, and save the ticket so down the road if this happens and they won't be able to go from 7-8.1 to 10 because the offer is over, the placement of the ticket should work. Unless MS removes it with a hotfix.

13. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    It's Ok...

I have flashed the BIOS of the motherboard, rebooted and Windows did not complain (yet).
    As said by thorin0815, I also read some deactivation when upgrading memory sticks. That's why I prefer to ask.