[Question] Editing 'Desktop' image on start menu 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dwfmagik, Oct 18, 2013.

1. dwfmagik

dwfmagik MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2011
    #1 dwfmagik, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi everyone.

I've managed to successfully upgrade to 8.1 and thought I'd treat myself to different desktop backgrounds thanks to DisplayFustion. However, this has had a horrid effect on my 'Desktop' button on the my start menu as you can see in the picture here : h***:// s21.postimg.org/y02a920br/Untitled.png

My question is - Does anyone know a way I can edit that image so it doesn't look so wank?

I have managed to setup a temoporary shortcut with a standard icon using the following shortcut, but it's not the same.

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C “C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Shows Desktop.lnk”

2. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Rightclick on your desktop start icon and resize it to Large and see if it fixes it.

3. dwfmagik

dwfmagik MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2011
    #3 dwfmagik, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    (OP)
    Hey LEXX911, thanks for the reply. I've tried all the sizes, and it always centralizes it so that the screen split is in the middle. Rather annoying.

I wouldn't mind just using my shortcut as my 'desktop' icon, if I could make it ''wide'' (it only gives me small and normal) and give it a custom image rather than a shell32.dll icon.

EDIT - I've just found a thing called 'OblyTile' - which MIGHT give me a solution. going to test now.

4. dwfmagik

dwfmagik MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2011
    Well, I've had a semi-result.

Using OblyTile I've been able to make two separate square tiles to represent my two screens, made a 121x121 image for each and just linked them to the shortcut I pasted above. Apparently they're working on making 'wide' icons - so I'll bookmark their site and check them out again at a later date.

h**p://s17.postimg.org/ombkae1z3/result.png

I think you'll agree it looks a lot better than the deafult s**te windows/displayfusion produced for me.