question for new laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by arnav, Jun 17, 2008.

1. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    hi i just got a new laptop inspiron 1525 from DELL.

i have got vita home premium and want to use Vista ultimate. what is te best method to upgrade??

i di not want o instal all the dell softwares again so si tehr anyway to do it without reinstalling the OS(like if qw can upgrade from homr premium to ultimate, it will be best)

2. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    If you can find a DELL OEM Vista DVD then that would be the best way. Did you get a recovery disk with the Laptop?

Otherwise just install Ultimate then install the OEM cert and Key as your BIOS should have SLIC. If you chose the 'Upgrade' Option on the DVD you should be able to keep the Software that's on it.

3. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    i ahve 2 dvd that have vista but they are printed ont he top as vista home premium.
    will it work and upgrade to ultimate?

4. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    tried. if i beet in DVD mode, upgrade option isnt there will ry now when vista is already open

5. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #5 petar, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    i already have dell OEM cd and it came with my laptop(vista home premium)

what i want to know is, can i use same CD to Install ultimate and crack ti using crack loader or any other method?

thanks for your help and i looked at it i think the second link can help me.(though i cannot downlaod it now as downladoing a large file with very slow speeds to a mirror will be appreciated.

if i copy the DVD on to my PC, overwrite the files present in the OEM.Second link)will it work and vista ultimate be installed?
    You can also make a PID.TXT file with whatever key you want and put it in the SOURCES folder. This way we can make any flavor of Vista we want, Ultimate, Home Premium etc.

7. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    You only have to download the Dell OEM Sources folder (which is only 53KB) and replace it with the one on your curent DVD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    ok. thanks. will try it and lets see what happens.

thanks will update the thread in hopefully 24 hours. (have to play around a bit in the New laptop first)

thanks for all the help.

9. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    hi. i tried and i find that the Vista DVD that i have got from DEll contains only the Home Premium Edition.

i have a Vista Retails CD(without SP1) but i cant use that since i want to upgrade and for upgrade sp1 is necessary.

can anyone guide me to a Place where i can get a Vista DVD with SP1 integrated so i can use it to create a OEM dvd.(Torrents will be perfect since my Net disconnects)

thanks

10. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Ususaly it should contain all the versions.
    This is the first time somebody reports a Vista DVD with only one version.
    How did you found out that you only have Home Premium on your DVD ?
    About the torrents you asked for, I'm not certian that I have the right to post a link.
    I think that it is not alowed.
    Ask some of the moderators, is it alowed to post a link to a torrent.
    Maybe over PM, it is alowed, but I'm not shure.

11. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    #11 arnav, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
    (OP)
    i tried copying the total DVD(which DEll provided me), i overwrote the Folders(the one contained int he Dell ultimate OEM using the link osted above by petar)

then i tried upgrading,the process is done but the vista edition remains home premium so i assumed that the DVD contains only that specific edition.
    edit:

it maybe possible that i am not doiung it correctly.

if someone can guide me as to the corretc way. like should i overwrite the folders or ony the specific fileS?)

12. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    also, i dont think mods will mind if you send the link or the website name in Pm. they may have an objection if you post the link but Pm is not shown on google and such sites so there is no harm. Please let me Know ASAP as i am very eagerto get vista ultimate as i use ultimate on my Home Pc too.

13. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    i tried again by overwriting the Specific Files. it now asks for a Key.what should i do here and which key should i use?

14. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #14 petar, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
    As first save your Vista DVD to the hard disk as iso image using Nero or some other software.
    Open the iso image with ImageX and delete the $OEM$ folder.
    Delete the PID.TXT in the sources folder.
    Downlpad the OEM folder for Dell Ultimate.
    Copy the $OEM$ folder and paste it inside the Sources folder.
    Copy the PID.TXT and paste it inside the Sources folder.

Burn your DVD and install.
    You will not be asked for a key.

15. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    thanks for the reply.

i am a bit of a noob o please answer these:

how do i save as iso? uptill now, i was just copy all data onto my HDD.

then after saving, how do i edit it so as to delete and add the necessary files.

secindly i searched google for Imagx. how do i use it??

Edit:saw you edited your post. is there any way i can install without writing to a CD. by creating image and so ?

16. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Get a program called Vlite, you can rebuild the Vista DVD from the files you extracted. You should also be able to see if Ultimate is there.

17. arnav

arnav MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    ok. will try it in an hour and let you know.
    one questio, how would i be able to see if ultimate is there or not?

just wanted otknow as i do not have internet on my laptop and currently internet is only on my home PC

18. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    OK, then do it the way you were douing it before.
    As first copy your Vista DVD to the hard disk.
    Delete the $OEM$ folder.
    Delete the PID.TXT in the sources folder.
    Downlpad the OEM folder for Dell Ultimate.
    Copy the $OEM$ folder and paste it inside the Sources folder.
    Copy the PID.TXT and paste it inside the Sources folder.

Burn your DVD and install.
    You will not be asked for a key.

Edit. The chances you've got a DVD without Ultimate on it are very slim.