[Question] [Help] About Spectre & Meltdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ege914, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    #1 ege914, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Hi, i want to live with my bugs and unsecure to the world. There are plenty of reasons for me to live with these 20 year old bugs but mainly my 3dsmax software uses hybird rendering motor which uses cpu and gpu together at %100 all the time while working. this is just my desicion. my workstation is not conected to internet and has eset internet security installed with windows defender, smartscreen and uac enabled. i only connect to it internet for windows updates and eset updates. so i will be fine. i was fine for 20 years. and this is my choice.

I just need to know which updates are fixing those bugs and drops my computer's performance.

-Is it bios update?
    -Is it windows update KBs?
    -Is it something like INF Utility Chipset Update?

If it is bios, i don't need to do anything but if it is another thing. i can block them or uninstall them when installed.
    I need it for windows xp-7-8-8.1-10 all of them.

I need to know every single update or method's name to block them. please help. I can't upgrade my hardware and i don't see the point because. They need to fix their architecture not only software and release new cpu and gpu's... so i will be here untill new correct hardware is out. and i want to be at my max performance.

SOLVED: thanks to all helpers.

IF YOU DON'T WANT PERFORMANCE DROPS. and be unsafe like me.

1) GPU's are safe to update. CPU's are not. SO don't update cpu. but you can update gpu.
    2) Do not update bios, or do not use new chipset update inf utilities
    3) If you want to use windows update first apply these 2 commands

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

after you can update. and you won't be losing performance drops

4*) intel microcodes seems to fix bugs but i am not sure about performance drops so stay safe and dont use them if you are not sure.

thats all. use the latest chipsets and bios update right before the bug fixes if you DONT WANT performance drops. you can use nvidia amd driver updates or windows update there wont be any drops.

these are going to prevent performance drops. BUT YOU WİLL BE UNSAFE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Avoid any BIOS updates and if you receive the Windows update you can disable the mitigations.
    Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
    Only do this on systems that won't connect to the internet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    thanks for the reply
    okay i will skip bios updates for spectre and meltdown.
    Can you explain to me = what is "Windows update mitigations" and what happens if i disable it via those reg settings? cant i get other updates? i'm confused.
    btw my workstations connect to internet to get updates and eset updates once a month

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    It's for me getting blurry my manafactor of my motherboard issued an new bios on the 9 of January I have flashed my mobo with it and installed the latest CU from microsoft and updated the latest Nvidia driver for my GTX 1070.

On my system all is secure now I have checked with Spectre-Meltdown CPU checker but 2 friends of mine that have Intel and the other AMD system get a negative on Spectre so do they have to wait for a Fix trough software update ?

Greetz Base

5. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    OK but
    How is that helping me?

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Well you could start with check if there is a bios update for example

7. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    please read carefully, i am not trying to update my workstations? i am trying to block updates. and softwares. bios update doesnt need to be blocked. it is not automatic.

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    It revokes the fixes introduced by the cumulative updates from the 3rd of this month. So you can stay updated but avoid the mitigations those updates introduced as Daz mentioned.

9. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    #9 ege914, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    (OP)
    are they for both specre and meltdown?
    are there anything i must disable or block? such as kb update etc
    are there anything i shouldn't install? like bios update. is intel chipset inf utility to update chipset is safe to use?
    i heard that gpu's are effected too. is my gtx 850m safe for nvidia updates?
    why shouldn't i connected to internet as he mentions? for security? or windows update errors?

i know its a lot but please answer one by one thank you !

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #1. Afaik Meltdown fixes so far. Spectre needs BIOS updates and Software (i.e. Browser) updates.
    #2. No need to block updates if the reg entries mentioned are set after latest Cumulative Updates.
    #3. You'll need to avoid BIOS updates and driver updates for CPU/GPU as well.
    #4. If Updates for GPU aren't installed automatically no fixes are introduced.
    #5. For security.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Do you want to be safe or just block updates ? because blocking updates will leave you in a unsafe enviroment in this case ??

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    >>>>>>>>>>>>

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke stand corrected but still don't get it !

14. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    hi i don't need to be safe. i just need my max performance. because i own workstation in my house which i use only for rendering. they are not connected to internet. i connect them manually for windows and eset update only. i do not surf internet on them, i don't open mail on them.

i just transfer 3dsmaxfiles via clean usb. (the reason i update windows and eset is, for precautions. i am pluging only my own clean usb devices for transferring files from my secure laptop to workstation) (so i update eset and windows for only pluging 1 usb) (and that usb is clean as far as i know)

15. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015

thanks for clean answer! this is my last question about anything -->
    about updating cpu and gpu.

1) after fresh install of windows i always install chipset for intel. from now on. you say i should not install newer versions of chipset? i should use the chipset setup right before the meltdown and spectre bug fixed?
    2) how can i check which nvidia version has bug fixes and performance drops? so i can use previous one?
    3) is there registery fix like windows update fix FOR chipset for amd/intel and nvidia/amd gpu driver?

16. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke but why open a topic about Spectre & Meltdown because to fix that you need to have a microcode bios update and the latest CU from WU apperently.

17. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
    you still didn't get.... i don't want to fix specre or meltdown.

I am updating my workstations via windows update or nvidia or chipset softwares all the time but not for spectre or meltdown for other security and bug fixes... i am trying to prevent performance drops after update

i found a way to prevent windows update and i am serching a way for chipset and gpu updates too. or simply i wont update them.

18. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  19. ege914

ege914 MDL Member

Jun 29, 2015
  20. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #1. If you wanna avoid slowdowns you'll need to use older drivers from 2017.
    #2. Iirc fixes were introduced lately so any drivers from 2017 should be without.
    #3. The reg key only reverts the Windowsa related fixes not from drivers or software.