Question on how to reinstall Windows 7 on windows 8 machine

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by connecting4less, Nov 11, 2012.

1. connecting4less

connecting4less MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2007
    Hello,

We purchased a new laptop for work it has windows 8 installed, but it does not support our software we use at work.
    We want to install Windows 7 but it won't boot from DVD or USB drive,

i googled and found that you can restart windows recovery and select boot from usb or dvd, but that option is not available on our system

This laptop has windows 8 core 64

Thanks in advance

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    are you sure that W8 does not support this software? there are ways to run some software in compatibility mode and then it is fine until the updates for the software are available

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You need to disable Secure Boot from bios to boot from other media.

4. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Why cant you boot from DVD USB ? Because you should be able, at least on of them otherwise it'd be impossible to install an OS i think
    Give more details on the "it won't boot from DVD or USB drive", you have no USB/DVD support ? No option to boot on it ?...

5. connecting4less

Sep 10, 2007
    secure boot is disabled, i have windows 7 dvd in and usb flash drive in and the boot is only showing the hard drive with windows 8 on it
    we installed the software in windows 7 compatibility but not everything worked

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    did you check with the software supplier if there will be a W8 version soon or if they know how to handle this problem? Some know the problem and have solutions on hand

7. connecting4less

Sep 10, 2007
    i managed to get it working, i uninstalled the software reinstalled in windows 7 mode and ran it in administration mode and then i started the software with windows 7 and administration mode and it is working fine

thanks guys

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you're welcome

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    It all seems pretty simple to me, boot into BIOS, Check and make sure you have CDROM, or DVDROM selected to boot 1st, it will be under boot in BIOS, save and exit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. JimBham

JimBham MDL Novice

May 11, 2013
    I tried w8 for a few weeks and decided to go back to w7 but nothing works right. I wonder if my BIOS is messed up. It sometimes says "Can't download w7 on to my hdd because it isn't a gpl hdd" I haven't been able to get into the BIOS to see what is in there. Any suggestions. I have an HP desktop pavilion quad core cpu with terrabyte hdd. I have tried 2 different w7 install discs but neither works. Help

11. armond

armond MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2008
    Hello,
    Could you please share the brand and model of your Windows 8 laptop? I think this can help us help you better.
    Have a nice day/night

12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Run win7 boot-setup.
    Press shift-f10 to open console.
    Run following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk X (where x is your hd number)
    clean
    convert mbr
    exit
    exit

Then install to unpartitioned space.

13. TulTang

TulTang MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2011
    To force Windows 8 looking for USB to boot without setting in BIOS is use this command in "Run..." or "Cmd"

RunDll32.exe pwlauncher.dll,ShowPortableWorkspaceLauncherConfigurationUX

This will open a dialog ask you if you would like to boot Windows-2-Go which is USB boot. Just select "Yes" and from now on your Windows 8 are going to boot from USB first no matter what USB you plug-in (No need to be Windows-2-Go). ☺

14. Delta128

Delta128 MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2012
    OP did not say what s/he has running W8 as shipped. I will share my experience in brief, downgrading my 6 months old Sony Viao SVE11125*** (11.6" netbook) - not exactly speedy but it was a holiday gift, small so that I can downsize my travel backpack to go with the Nexus 7 & smartphone bundle. It came preloaded W8 core (earlier ones had W7 Pro) and fortunately - US edition has all the W7 64bit drivers on their support website. Plus, located more software/apps from SG website oversea to simplify fresh & clean install. I noted the GPL partition and that the C: partition was 05 on the physical drive for future reference - and use backup the Store folder/W8 license key - and saved the partitions to Recovery Media on a 32GB USB.

Change UFEI mode to legacy in Bios, and Secured Boot disabled automatically as well, change boot order to external/USB and reboot to W7 installation media on USB for a clean install - and this is the tough part (point of no return) - proceed to delete all the partitions on drive 0 next, with a blank drive for reformatting in MBR (NTFS) mode. Allocated 120GB for active, primary partition with a 100MB System area reserved, and remaining 570GB for data and apps, etc. (750GB drive) - installation took about 1 hour to first boot - relief and everything looked good. Then, finalizing installation w system device drivers in sequence, apps & Sony Viao utilities, etc. - rebooting as necessary, etc. which took more time. Windows Media Center is back, everything optimized by the following day - including the usb 3.0 port and webcam - and good old Start menu.

Had StartMenu on W8 running, but it's just not the same (old habits) with Metro, popping up and all those mini Apps, some good but most of them destined for the Recycle Bin. If & when W8.1 is ready, I will reconsider doing a clean install to W8 first and then do the free upgrade - sure, W7's boot time is slower but that's a tradeoff - and 4GB DDR3 is plenty for my travel needs in a light package. For a touch-n-feel experience, I go to my Nexus 7 tablet - the Sony Viao without a touchscreen and W8 is a mismatch, period.

For those thinking about doing a downgrade, check your hardware's support site to see what's available for Windows 7 - builds destined for W8 might not have any backward compatible drivers to run it properly or w/o spending hours searching cyberspace for equivalent tradeoffs. And, in my case, Sony also has all the necessary upgrade utilities on the support site to simplify the upgrade/install to W8.