Question regarding using Toshiba upgrade disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kottke, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kottke

kottke MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    Hello everyone!

I've tried hunting through the forums, but I was getting somewhat confused with everything, so please bare with me.

I have a Toshiba laptop that I purchased which came with the Windows 7 (had Vista already on it)upgrade.

What I am wanting to do is use the Toshiba upgrade disc to install Windows 7 on a completely separate desktop PC (homebuilt).

How do I go about this? Can I just use the upgrade key guide stickied on the forum, or do I need to modify my BIOS and all of that stuff? If yes, how the heck do I do that?

Thanks!

2. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    You might be able to use it if the computer has valid Vista on it. You would probably have to run commands to change the cert to match the slic of the other computer. It probably wont work if the other computer's bios isn't slic 2.1. And it may have a script stopping install completely if the other computer isn't a Toshiba. Allot of variables that ad up to "probably not" answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kottke

kottke MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks for your response.

The computer I'm putting it on is a home built desktop PC. I had XP on it, never upgraded to Vista because I didn't like it. However, I've completely wiped out the hard drive at the moment. I was planning on just putting XP back on it, but thought I'd give the upgrade disc a go if I could.

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Download a clean ISO file (Repository) and install 7. Then if you like it you can rearm it and use it indefinantly (search forums).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...