question setting up win2k12 AD DC QoS

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by micgoo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. micgoo

micgoo MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2013
    I m trying to setup a new window 2012 datacenter windows. can someone share some guide or videos ? the setup will be

• 1 server running
      • Active Directory
      • domain controller
      • DHCP
      • QoS (Quality of Service)
    • 10 client windows 7
    • 10 Voip SIP phone
    • 2 network printer

bez i will be using 10 VOIP phone i would like to use QoS to give internet connection priority to all the phone. my 1st question is do i need 2 NIC for this setup ? like DSL > server > NIC 2 > swtich > all client ? or i will be in with 1 NIC and everything go behind the switch ?

thank you for all the help :eek:

2. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    HI, I am not sure what you exaclty mean....................

1) Are you planning to use the "box" (Windows Server 2012) as a router as well ????
    2) Do you have a router to the WAN ?
    3) What WAN connection is it? (XDSL or some sort..........Frame Relay, ect,ect).

Cheers

3. micgoo

micgoo MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2013
    1. Yes trying to install a windows 2012 box
    2. Yes I have a router, but I all the guide I read about it said it not to use a router for dhcp, bez all the client IP address should be assign from the dc
    3.dsl

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You have more control if you get DHCP from Win box & you do have a working DNS for AD, so it all makes it easier. But you do NOT use Win box as a router. Just DHCP/DNS with your hardware router being default gateway

Try to find some on vhdesk.net

5. micgoo

micgoo MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2013
    this is what I planned to do, I will still use a router. but my win box will handle all the DHCP/DNS for me. I have already installed win box. my question is if I need to use QoS to control internet usage bez of the IP phone. do I need 2 NIC or 1 NIC and my DC will be able to limit the connection for me ?

i m very confused if i only use 1 NIC will i able to control QoS from the win box ?

1 NIC
    DSL > router > switch > win box server / client

or

2 NIC
    DSL > router > NIC1 > win box server > NIC2 > switch > client

6. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Mate, the moment you put 2 or more NICS (Network cards) you have a router.................that is why they are called network cards. Every single one of them represents a node in its own network or sub network (subnet).
    So if you have a router already..................why do you want to route, again, if that is whay you want............

Remember that in routing terms every RJ45 ethernet connector is a node which belongs to a particular network.

I am not sure what type of router box you have after your WAN DSL connection, some good ones do have settings for QoS, to allocate priority to packets based upon what type of services are being used in the network.
    Being that the case, leave Windows alone to do the DC, DHCP and DNS.