Question: Sound options in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ancestor(v), Jan 15, 2008.

1. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Hi!

I've been looking around for a time, but haven't found anything. I'm looking for the sound options that allow me to configure the recording source; using stereomix(er) instead of microphone. To describe the problem: I want to use tunatic, to identify a few songs and I need to move the "sound out" onto "stereo mix" or whatever it is called in order to let tunatic "hear" the sound. I'm using Windows Vista, Home Premium Edition.

I think it's pretty simple, I just don't get it :rolleyes:

king regards,
    ancestor(v)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rennya

rennya MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2007
    Ermm... open Sound in Control Panel, go to Recording tab and make sure Stereo Mix is enabled and made as Default. After that open Sound Recorder (or whatever recording software you use) and happily start recording?

It works for me here, ripping a stream from Winamp.

3. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    This is were the problems start. There is no such thing. It just shows the two microphone buses, front and rear, line in and an SPDIF in. Which is everything pretty fine, but there just isn't this stereo mix thingy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    #5 ancestor(v), Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
    (OP)
    So did I, but there weren't any upgrades available.
    Same thing here. Nothing.
    There still is no stereo mix.

I've also been looking around the internet and many people experience(d) that problem.
    I think I'll look out for a software solution. There is a software called VirtualAudioCable, which I found after reading a new entry in a forum.

Thanks for your work. I appreciate that.

EDIT:
    this doesn't seem to be a trivial problem...no solution found yet. Many people give the same advice as you did, rennya, and it often doesn't work. VirtualAudioCable sucks. I'm not going to pay 50 Dollar for that. I'd rather buy a new soundcard for that money; after all it seems that my onboard-soundcard poses the problem here. Crap >.<

5. rennya

rennya MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2007
    Well, can you post the screenshot of the Sound control panel applet here with the Recording tab opened just like mine above? If you can, show the right-click context menu too.

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  7. rennya

rennya MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2007
    If that was the case, then a new soundcard is in order. Maybe.

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Maybe, yes...