Questions about automatic update of drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Saltyman, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Saltyman

Saltyman MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #1 Saltyman, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Hi,

I have a question about the auto update of drivers by 10. If I install the drivers manually (downloaded directly from manufacturer) before letting Windows 10 connect to the internet, what happens?

My questions:

1) Does he install over my installed drivers? Or does he install over only if there's a newer version on the database?

2) If there's a driver missing (that I didn't installed), does he install it automatically for me?

2. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    1. if a new driver version available in microsoft catalog, it will be installed.
    2. if it is available in windows update catalog and windows 10 "knows" your device, the driver will be installed automatically.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #3 lobo11, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Install Windows Updates Mini Tool in Sig, set to notification mode, will play sound when you have new updates/ then you select which updates you want to install/hide,Will only install what you tell it to, Neat Tool

Instructions on how to install in QUICK LINKS :D

Yes #2 will auto install drivers-good or bad

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Saltyman

Saltyman MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    #4 Saltyman, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    (OP)
    Well... What is the better approach, by "official" ways? Let Windows install everything first and then install the rest of drivers, or install the drivers manually and let he find the rest? :g:

I personally prefer option 2, but I would like to know what's the approach of community in this.

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #6 lobo11, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Like lobo said before, what you choose is up to you. I merely inform you that I let Windows (and my hardware manufacturer HP) do all the work on drivers, and everything seems to work fine.

I add that trying to be too ambitious with drivers can be risky, as they are notoriously tricky.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Windows doesn't update automatically any drivers, even its own adapted and renamed drivers. If You want update, must first uninstall current, then restart computer and then Windows begins look for new driver, if it at all is needed. So far, till not needed for the driver, nothing will not downloaded and installed.If there isn't some special driver, it recommends to download from producer website, sometimes even gives link.
    For example, for me recommends to download Wireless Driver from Dell and even gives link. Although Wireless Driver, which is downloaded from Windows server, works perfectly.

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    The newest driver in the catalog isn't usually (if ever?) installed automatically from WU. I'm thinking if you're in the Fast insider ring you might get those drivers though.

I install all the drivers first, lock the important stuff (GPU and audio drivers) so nothing (me, software, nor WU) can touch the driver unless I manually lift the lock, and then let WU pick up anything else (in my case, just a printer driver). Letting WU install drivers and then installing new stuff on-top of that is messy and double-effort for no real gain.

If only that were true :p

About a week or two ago I manually installed an updated Realtek audio driver (I think 8027), and about 5 minutes later, Windows decides to downgrade it (back to something in the 7000's) and reinstall the Dolby API effects thing (I uninstalled it immediately after I installed the 8027 driver). I thought Windows Update only went after drivers that were older, but I guess WU just decides to muck up any driver it feels like doing regardless of version/date.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #11 lobo11, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  11. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    You have questions because you don't SEARCH the forum...
    The topic and solutions have been discussed many a time...
    And yet this question always seems to reappear in a new post :eek::eek::eek: