Questions about Containers & Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LiuBang, Dec 27, 2022.

1. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    i pretty much got no information about these 2 due to the fact i haven't used before
    i have been using VMware workstaion and Virtual box
    Containers & Hyper-V
    what are containers ? and how are they used ?
    if Containers isn't enabled in "Windows Features" will Hyper-V (which is enabled) still work with no issues ?

bottom line , if Containers are removed will still Hyper-V work without issues
    i'm talking about removing it from "windows Features" and removing the containers files which are in this folder
    Untitled.jpg
    thanks in advance

2. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    i know uncle G
    i'm asking whose been using these 2 , someone who used them in real experience , like daily life
    uncle G sometimes gives information that could be outdated or not based on tests due to the fact Uncle G brings info from other sites which depends on the other site if it's looking for more clicks or someone just copying words from other place
    but also thanks for your answer

3. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Well, maybe you need to learn how to ask a question? Because in the original post there is no such wording. OP is a very general what-if question

5. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    btw you still didn't give an answer to the question you just trying to prove that "copy and paste in google search" was useful , you didn't even check for a site or something in that search but you just put the google search link -.-'

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Because the question like that warrants just that, nothing more, sorry

7. Drak_iaji

Drak_iaji MDL Novice

May 22, 2022
    This problem bothers me very much. According to my experience under Linux, containers are designed to provide better performance than VMs, so the kernel of the host is reused and the namespace is used to isolate the host. However, the information you provide seems to reveal that Windows containers work in VMs, which seems to be an odd act of using containers for the purpose of using containers.

8. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #9 sml156, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Containers are VM's, Virtual machines visualize a machine that includes hardware and software. A container only virtualize's software making it leaner than a VM

I prefer Virtual machines due to the fact that it is easier to add remove or even do something as simple as updating the OS Even trying to update software is hard or even next to impossible for most people using containers.

Containers have to be rebuilt from scratch for even the simplest change , If you don't know how to create a container you have to wait for some kind soul to make one for you. too many cryptic commands if you ask me

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    i don't think there is alot of people out there uses containers due to the fact using a VM is way easier and much managable environment , even i haven't used containers but from the information i saw on microsoft i didn't understand anything or how to make it work , anyway thanks for your answer

10. timis

timis MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2007
    If I remember correctly, there several options when running containers in windows so it definitely is confusing. As mentioned by others containers are more lightweight so they perform much better and you can get much greater density on hardware vs VM's. The drawback is the that there are some potential security concerns given that containers share some binaries (imagine a high security environment where there needs to be separation between departments). MS bridges this gap by allowing you to create an isolation mode for containers that essentially runs the container in a lightweight VM to provide a strong security boundary. So you get the benefits of containers with a 'skinny' VM as opposed to a full fat VM.