Questions about Windows 10 "Spy Blocking"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Murdock80, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Murdock80

Murdock80 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    Gday all,

I've followed the Windows 10 Privacy/Spying discussions ever since it got released and read quite a bit of contradictory information about it. It'd be nice if someone could share some insight regarding a few questions:

- It's said that Windows 10 data collection connections can't be blocked properly since they are hardcoded. One of the few ways to block them would be by blacklisting the corresponding addresses in the router directly. Does the pinned Telemetry repository thread here provide all the necessary addresses for this or would I have to include other ones as well? And: Is it known, which processes actually connect to Microsoft or how those connections get around Firewalls?

- Anti Spy Tools / Scripts / ...
    Now that there a quite a few Anti-Spy like tools and scripts around, is there actually something that includes everything that is known to disable said data-collection functions? It's quite confusing to see all those different tools and now knowing if some are better than others- or if one should actually run all of them in paranoid mode.

- Enterprise Edition Spy Free
    Can someone confirm that the Windows 10 Enterprise Edition actually does desist from collecting data?

Thanks in advance fellas

2. hkgrob

hkgrob MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2012

Surefire way, disable internet. "Spying" solved...

3. Murdock80

Murdock80 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    Good stuff- but I'm also interested in some background details.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The background info was mentioned in the threads you studied/followed.

5. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    The only way I've seen is to get a copy of Windows Firewall Control (used it for a long time and love it) and look for a thread on here that shows you how to configure it and the Windoze Firewall. Sorry I dont have time to find the link on here right now.

Some of the elitist on here will tell you to ignore your privacy and move on unless you have something to hide. I'm not one of them.

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #6 odiebugs1, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #7 JP2015, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    FUD. every OS is looking at telemetry data.Microsofts ToS everyone is parroting are its Online Services. Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Syncing.*Microsoft is not 'reading' any of your data unless you make use of these services and apps in which case you must give permission for Microsoft to store your data, Send and receive your email, Sync your Settings. Access and Sync your OneDrive folders TO your PC etc*So much misinformation flying around. like Microsoft will delete your pirated content. Microsoft only cares about Pirated apps in the Windows Store. As well Pirated content hosted in its online cloud(OneDrive) as well Illegal content hosted in its cloud. Host Child abuse imagery in your OneDrive? expect at knock on your door at some pointDoes youtube allow hosting of Pirated or Illegal content on its services? No? same deal as Microsoft. What is being read are the Online Services Agreement‎ good luck and all the best to you all who really think you can ever shut up any version of Windows

Best advice to be shared if anyone is into the onion fields dark webbing and other crazy stuff I would cut the Internet asap and never look back and same applies to any smartphone operation you will get nailed and that's for sure it's happening every where as I speak around the world someone gets their door knocked down and their front teeth get knocked out in all of these busts

8. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Some of it may well be "FUD" as you elegantly put it and some or most of it is well proven on this very forum. You don't care? Fine. Just be informed before you post the next time! :rolleyes:

Edit- And before you post next time, take a look many Open Source systems out there that DO NOT collect data on their user.

9. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #9 JP2015, Nov 12, 2015
    All depends what a person is doing on the Internet that's where it all ties in regarding all this tracking, sorry your missing the point here as soon as you log in on the Internet your file is getting loaded with data if you been flagged the OS is the lesser evil I suggest you go read up my comments in mdl " tracking will and can't be stopped " research my key words "

10. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #10 JP2015, Nov 12, 2015
    When you log out from, mdl Google search this please and read up the details in something that is a fact....

Search on Google this please ( xkeyscore system ) then you, or all get where your interest in the Internet is going since year 2011

Your os or any os is the smaller factor in the new wave of tracking and each and every isp is on board if not they will not be in business in the very near future and this applies right across to smartphones and everything else that's powered by the world wide web

11. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I disagree. It doesnt depend on what you or I are doing on the Internet. At the end of the day, these people are still "polling" our data and tracks when we are innocently just rolling across the web. And perhaps you are right, it cant be stopped but it sure CAN be minimized.

The obvious choice is to dump this garbage and just get a Linux distro of our choice and be done with this junk from Micro$haft.

12. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Sadly, that isn't an option for majority of people. Linux will always be lacking...

13. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Brother brother read my statements it's not just the OS that's a tiny factor in this new tracking game please with due respect back track my comments and after you log out of mdl Google up this set of very fine words there is only two and get back to me ( xkeyscore system ) best of luck to you and everyone

14. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Lacking what? I suspect the main reasons why I havent been able to switch. My customers depend on this BS Office suite and refuse to try anything other than Outlook for their email. :D

15. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I've read and watched the NSA's so called PowerPoint presentation. I've read more about it more than I'd like to admit to be honest. I know what your point is now.

This persons point is to stop the data from going to Micro$shaft though. I think those of us who keep track of the world know that there is no such thing as privacy on the Internet anymore. Everything we do is tracked but some of us don't need Micro$haft following us and sharing our data tracks to make it easier.

16. nosense

Sep 9, 2013
    lacking tons of apps.

The same problem that windows phone have right now, devs don't care to port over apps because of the low market share. Linux has the same problem with it's 1% percent market share of desktop PC.

Linux as a desktop OS, have been around for more than 20 years and it still hasn't gain traction.

17. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I'm 42 years old and I find Linux distros to be more than enough to handle my needs. My problem is, clients are SO effing dependent on Office and more on the worst email app ever invented....Outlook. They love the freakin calendar crap even though I've shown them how Google apps works and that Thunderbird has its own options to get a stinking calendar. lol

Its baffling but most people wont change for nothing! Linux is fine desktop OS but it is does not contain the crap virus....OFFICE. Unless you are some gamer that sit in front of your PC for hours a day then apps should never be an issue.

18. nosense

Sep 9, 2013
    Ya, tell that to audio engineers.graphics designers,etc. Like it or not, the app gap is real and many people who are working in certain industry have to stay on windows\osx, because linux is missing the app they need.

If you think people are not moving over to linux because it doesn't have MS office\outlook that's pretty naive. Linux as a desktop OS is missing A LOT of apps. Yes, you can run wine\emu to use some win32 apps. But that's a lot of trouble and is a hit or a miss most of the time. Good luck also staying up to date with the latest app patch.

19. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I'm not sure how old you are but the video engineers started there. All the magical effects we see on commercials as we watch TV...that's not a Windoze design for sure.

And it's not naive to know biz will not switch to Linux because of the crap Office Suite. I've tried it with many doctors offices and attorneys here in the area. Do you really expect a doctors office to deal with Wine? The biggest problem for me is Obamacare is not OpenSource so that the offices can access the crappy database that tracks all of us.

Is that naive to you? I have a prime candidate (law office) that would have been great to bring over to Linux. The chairman wouldn't hear of it cause he couldn't be bothered to learn anything other than that POS Outlook app for his email. Is that naive to you?

20. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    opinions are like ar*eholes,
    we all have them,
    some like linux,
    most like microsoft.