Questions about Windows 7 Ultimate.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Happpy, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Hello, All!

I've some questions about Windows 7, please take a glance at.

1- What are libraries and why microsoft introduced libraries in Windows 7? What actually benefits of these? These are same as folders. We can also use folders for protecting files etc.

2- How Windows 7 backup works? Actually, once we'll back up our libraries etc (means a backup file will be created) and on the next day, we adds more files to our libraries and desktop, so how these more files will automatically add to the same backup?
    Another thing, where we should store backup? because in hard drive, virus can destroy backup and then what should we do?

I hope for the descriptive answer,

Regards,

2. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I believe Libraries are just folders you use often and so can jump to quickly, like the Desktop and Downloads and Recent Places. Keeps track of where you have navigated to recently, so you can revist by a single click rather than drilling down through the file tree. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. (I have only been using W7 a couple weeks and look past Libraries.)

The backup works by creating a compressed image of your entire drive, (the data, not the blank space), and saves it to a place of your chosing. Best to save it to an external drive, so that if your installed drives has mechanical failure or becomes corrupted and won't boot, the image is safe and accessible. That said, viruses that might attack your working system would not bother your image. So if you don't have an external drive, backing up to a folder on a separate partition is the next best thing. At least if the system becomes corrupt, you can boot from the repair CD, (which you can make inside Windows on the same screen as the backup options), then restore the saved image to C:\.

3. crimpy

crimpy MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2010
    1. A library is a Virtual Folder.
    So lets say you store movies in c:\movies and d:\movies and e:\movies. You add those directories to the movie library.
    You can then access the whole library in media player or share the one library without having to specify separately all those directories

2. Windows backup is fairly limited. The files you add do not get backed up until you do a new backup

2a. There are 2 types of backup.
    On-line backup, where you backup to a drive always attached to your computer
    Off-line backup, where you backup and the disconnect the drive and store elsewhere

Data is not secure until it exists in two places. :D

So you have to figure out yourself how important your data is to you and what lengths you are willing to go to to protect it.

What I usually recommend is an weekly online backup, And a monthly to a USB Hard drive, Which is stored in a fireproof safe or at grandmas house.

OR you can use an online backup solution like sugarsync and carbonite (google them yourself)

4. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Thanks to all for contributing well in this thread. All information is just magnificient, specially from crimpy. One thing that I'm still little confuse about it. Microsoft says, use an external hard drive for backup, Zepp says same thing (in this thread). So what is an external hard drive? One Hard drive is that we use permanently for Windows and what is external one? Are two same things or different? OR is there any hard drive that we can easily connect and disonnect as our requirnment? (I'm not talking about USB Flash Drive). Because for detecting two hard drives at the same time, we always need to open out PC casing and plug it. In other words, is here any hard drive available in market which comes with wire and we can plug it outside of our PC?

For iamanoob is that where this whole book is available in soft copy format? Is it available free anywhere?

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #7 Phazor, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Oh, Good Joke!!!! :rolleyes:

But here I've not listened yet about External Hard Drive. Thank you for telling me. Greatest. Thanks again.