Questions regarding Laptop Screen Resolutions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MMIKEE, Jul 30, 2020.

1. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Questions regarding Laptop Screen Resolutions

Note: Dell Drivers & BIOS is up to date and Windows 10 LTSC has the latest CU and updates…

This may or may not be DOABLE, but if possible, please provide feedback…

My Dell XPS 15 9500 (2020) uses a default Screen Res of 3840 x 2400 which is fine most of the time…

However, that Hi-Res mode is not useful for the following situations

1. Some software is difficult to see and use (tiny Text / Images / Icons etc)…

2. When booting up with a USB Flash Drive to use AOME! Partition Manager or Backerupper it is almost impossible to see the tiny Text / Images / Icons on the screen / windows…

3. Windows Photo Viewer often displays tiny images that would otherwise look normal on lower-res screen modes…

I can easily change the default Screen Res to 1920 x 1200 etc, but then all windows must be relocated and resized to be useful every time Screen Res is changed back and forth…

I can boot using the Windows 10 Low Res (VGA) mode but this does not help with #2 above and is not useful for most other purposes…

I would like to be able to force BIOS / UEFI to use a lower-res display mode when using #2… I checked all BIOS / UEFI settings and found no setting to do so… Is there software, patch, or a script that can do this reliably?

I also want a method to be able to switch Screen Resolutions after bootup that will REMEMBER the changes made for each preferred screen mode to avoid the issue of having to reset window locations and size each time a Screen Resolution change is performed…

Google search has NOT been helpful in this regard so far…

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    have u gone into your display settings and change your resolution settings in their?

3. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #2 would require you to replace your display with a lower resolution one.

4. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    I am never buying a high resolution screen again. It is nothing but a headache. So many programs the words can not be read because they are so tiny. Aomei programs are the worst. When I do a clean install I have to use a magnifying glass. Never again!

5. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I tried doing that using 1920 x 1200 then rebooting to the USB Flash Drive... It had no effect and AOME! Partition Manager or Backerupper s almost impossible to see the tiny Text / Images / Icons on the screen / windows…
    It seems like BIOS / UEFI uses a default Screen Res of 3840 x 2400 and only once Windows is running that the chosen resolution is used until changed by the user...
    IIRC, AOMEI reported in the initial boot screen message that IT could NOT change the Screen Resolution...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Yes, and it had no effect and AOME! Partition Manager or Backerupper are almost impossible to see the tiny Text / Images / Icons on the screen / windows…

7. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    You'd think that Laptop manufacturers and Software Companies that provide BOOT UP Utilities to REPAIR / REINSTALL an OS would provide methods to circumvent these ISSUES... Evidently they can't, won't or are ignoring this dilemma... :mad:

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Laptop displays tend to not support screen interpolation well (interpolation is the upscaling of lower resolutions to full screen sizes, enlarging everything). Instead, they sometimes use the native screen res and show the low-res application in a tiny rectangle in the center.

Also, the problem with modern class3 and beyond UEFI implementations is, that they lack the INT10 graphics routines of the legacy BIOS. DOS programs utilizing these routines can not switch resolutions or do some other graphic-related things.

There is really no other way than connecting an external monitor and switch to using that for boot. Any half-decent dedicated monitor will internally upscale low resolutions.

9. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I've had success actually unplugging the display from the laptop's motherboard and using an external display. I'm not saying you should do that, and I'm no expert on new hi-rez laptop displays as concerns uefi res overrides, but I don't see why it would upscale the resolution in that case.

11. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Please note that my post is especially about the boot to DOS programs. DOS software had to access the hardware directly, and prolly provide the drivers required. In the most basic case, the routines inside the BIOS were enough, accessible through INT10h. Higher resolutions had to use special drivers. The most popular were the Universal VESA BIOS extensions (UNIVBE.EXE).
    Newest UEFI have removed the INT10h routines and replaced them with GOP/UGA. DOS programs probably cannot use that, or have to be updated.

However, displays that don't upscale lower resolutions are the plague. Even at the native resolution, text etc. is too tiny for many people. I'm using 100%, but many use 125%, 150% or even higher scales.

Here's an illustration attached. The white is UHD 3840 x 2160 resolution, and the grey rectangle is the pretty standard DOS resolution 640 x 480. That's quite a difference, and shows how tiny would a DOS program be on a UHD display, if it did not scale.

640x480_in_3840x2160.jpg

12. monkeybagel

monkeybagel MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    For Remote Desktop into legacy OSs, use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Manager that was released many years ago. It still works great and scales the remote desktop (Windows Server 2003, for example) to a very usable size. It is still available from Microsoft's Download Center.

13. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Fortunately, the Dell XPS 15 9500 (2020) Upscales the default Screen Res of 3840 x 2400 to 250%, and when I use 1920 x 1200 it Upscales to 125% which both are fine for the desktop and most programs I use... When in BIOS / UEFI the display is easy to read and use and I have no idea what Screen Res that might be...

IF I had known that UHD displays are prone to the issues mentioned in this thread, I would have instead got the Lower Res 1920 x 1200 model which is much less $$$... I read many reviews of this laptop prior to purchase... There were many PRO's and very few CON's, and these issues were never mentioned...

14. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I have a 27 inch monitor, running 2560 x 1440, at 125%. This is the primary monitor on my desktop, the secondary being a 24 inch 1920x1080. I have no complaints about this monitor. I did try, temporarily, a 27 inch which runs at 3840 x 2160, and had a number of problems. My original intent was to use it (the 3840 x 2160) on my company notebook in my home office, as I am (like so many others) working from home these days. The company notebook is a Lenovo T470, with Intel 620 graphics. The docking station for the T470 has a Display Port connector, which is required to get 3840x2160 at 60 hz. The best HDMI would do is 3840x2160 at 30 hz. Unless you have HDMI 2.0, which I did not. I got everything working, looked really good, but the notebook became unstable. These Lenovo notebooks are the most stable PC's that I have ever dealt with, partly because the company keeps them locked down, no junk software.

But apparently that high resolution put too much of a strain on the Intel graphics, and the notebook would lock up under heavy use. So I gave up on that, and moved the new monitor over to my personal desktop, replacing the 27 inch, 2560 x 1440 monitor. My motherboard / cpu has Intel 630 graphics built in, good enough, but it does not have a Display Port connector nor HDMI 2.0. Next step, Nvidia GT710 graphics card, which has HDMI 2.0 which will support 3840x2160, if you get the right cable. After trying about 4 cables, I finally got the monitor running at 60 hz. But trying to find the right scale factor was difficult, if not impossible. What was right, looked good for one set of circumstances, was completely wrong under a different set of circumstances.

So the 3840 x 2160 monitor is sitting over in the corner, unused at present. I need to get motivated and run an ad on Craigslist and sell that sucker.

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I have a feeling I don't understand what you're talking here.
    If You know, that the display resolution is a feature or characteristic of display devices that indicates how many pixels the device is capable of displaying. The higher the screen resolution, the more detailed and sharp the displayed image when viewed from the correct distance.
    And because it's a physical feature of the display device, you can't change it in any way.
    If the resolution of currently used display does not suit you, you can only use another monitors with a lower or higher resolution. That's the thing, what you can do, but cannot change any display resolutoin, it is as it is, it is a display characteristic, that the display has due to its construction.

16. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #17 Carlos Detweiller, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    What you are referring to is the native resolution; that one is indeed fixed for non-CRT and everything looks best in this resolution. But, of course you can change the OS resolution. Different monitors/displays will act differently, most will upscale or stretch the lower-res image. Lower-than-native resolution will never look as good as the native one, of course.

17. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    Coincidently I Just purchased my 1st laptop. The native 1920 x 1080 resolution (win 10 recommended) is uncomfortable for my eyes to say the least. Some times I get so frustrated I want to throw my poor device through no fault of it's own out the window. When I change it say back down to 1024 x 768 or any resolution lower than native the display reduces to a little square it does not scale the whole screen. Cannot find a setting to enlarge it or is it just a limitation of the device? I remember this happening years ago on a desktop pc when upgrading to a new graphic card but I eventually found the setting to make it right. Anyone know of workarounds or point me somewhere to resolve. Or is it for sure limitation. HP is time waster for getting real answers.
    Ryzen 7 Radeon Graphics and discreet Nvidia gtx 1660ti tried the 451 456 drivers and MS drivers.
    tia for listening. Any thoughts ?

18. you shouldn’t lower the resolution, instead change it back to Full HD and change the scale from 100% to 125% (or even higher, depends on you). You can find that setting by going into the settings, System, Display and there is a point called „Scale and layout“

Re-login to your account to make the changes effective.

19. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    #20 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    agreed, sorry I know that already.

Edit: There is a feature update waiting for me as i logged on today to my laptop (10.26.2020)
    After reading what was new sounds promising. Cool, may just address the idiosyncrasy's.

The next version of Windows is available with new features and security improvements.
    so they say...

Edit 2: .