questions regarding recent windows 8.1 installations - MDL FAQ are too old

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by answer-my-question, Dec 28, 2014.

1. answer-my-question

answer-my-question MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I am glad to have found this website.

I was wondering where I might be able to find a version of windows 8 that I can install on my PC. My pc previously had windows 7 that came with the system but I am looking for an upgread.

I tried reading the FAQ (on the front page of w8 forum) but this faq contains links that send me to a thread from 2012 and 2011. I'm worried that these are very old and that if I install these files, they will take me a long time to update.

I was wondering where I might find a more recent file.

Also, the main reason I wanted to use files from here was that I wasn't able to trust any old 'torrent' file as I am afraid anyone can put a keylogger or something in the os. I was wondering if the files I find on this website are safe and trusted from these sort of things.

Also, would these files ask me for a cd key and for activation? can I use the toolkit for activation?

Thanks

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Directly start with Win 8.1 from the Jukebox link in my signature. Post #2 offers the Core/Pro builds i would recommend.

NOTE: You'll need a torrent client to load from the magnet link.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. answer-my-question

Dec 28, 2014
    Hi S1ave77, Thanks alot for your reply.

Just afew things I wanted to ask you regarding these.

I assume these will be from may 2014 (since the original post is from may 2014). Does this mean that my computer will install all the updates after I activate it? Will I be activating it using the Microsoft toolkit?

Finally, will this automatically also update to windows 8.1 when I run windows update?

Also, which version do you recommend? Enterprise, VL, Core/Pro or N?

Thanks,

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. answer-my-question

Dec 28, 2014

Just one final thing I wanted to ask.

when I put the iso image on my usb drive using rufus, for some reason, the total size was only like 3.2 gb. but the iso image is 4.2 gb.

Is that normal?

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    which architecture you try to install? 32 bit or 64? There is some difference in size ... Size matters :D

7. answer-my-question

Dec 28, 2014

I used a 64 bit iso file for a 64 bit machine.

I was just curious because the iso I downloaded was 4.2 gb but the Usb disk ended up being only 3.2 gb or so.

I doubt its anything major, I was just curious.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It would make sense if it used an install.esd file instead of install.wim