Quick ?: Dell Dimension 4700 Phoenix BIOS is currently A05 -> Upgrade to A10

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by delforum, Mar 20, 2011.

?

Upgrade to non-Modded BIOS before the SLIC-Modified BIOS on Dell Dimension 4700?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2011.
  1. Yes, upgrade to Dell's version first

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, just jump right to the modded A10 version from your current A05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Modding the BIOS isn't worth the effort.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. delforum

delforum MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    #1 delforum, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    Hello MyDigitalLife Comunity,

You provide a wonderful resource!

I am interested in making my Dell Dimension 4700 compatable with SLIC 2.1. The current BIOS revision on the motherboard is A05. A10 is available on Dell's website.

Should I upgrade to the non-modded A10 before installing the SLIC modified A10 BIOS for this motherboard?

Thanks for your suggestions,
    Del

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    It is good practice to always upgrade to the original D-4700 A10 BIOS first. Then generate your RW-Everything ACPI report and use AndyP's PhoenixTool to mod the A10 BIOS. It would be good if you posted your RW-Everything ACPI report and possibly the SLIC-modded BIOS for others.

3. delforum

delforum MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    Thank you for your response tqhoang. I will update to Dell's A10 first before using the SLIC 2.1 modded version. I found the Dell Dimension 4700 A10 BIOS with SLIC 2.1 on this forum at threads/7178-Dell-Phoenix-Manual-Mod-Thread?p=370676&viewfull=1#2911. Is there any information I should gather or compare before going forward with his BIOS mod?

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    I suggest that you first generate an RW-Everything ACPI report against BIOS A10 and post that for others (like me). Personally I like to generate my own using the very latest PhoenixTool and then compare it to an older modded BIOS to see if they're the same. If they're not I usually take a look at the individual modules to see why they're different.

5. delforum

delforum MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    Great! I will post the RW-Everything ACPI reports, as well as my results if I make my own mod, or get imatrix's working on my Dell Dimension 4700.

My first attempt at a W-Seven bootable usb with Unetbootin keep looping the Automatically boot in 10 seconds countdown. I'll go the diskpart route next time.

Thank you for your help tqhoang.

6. delforum

delforum MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    #6 delforum, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    (OP)
    I went through the process, and acquired the tools. The only unclear step to me is the certs. If I wanted to make a mod that would support W-Seven OEM, would I need a SLIC 2.1 Dell cert, or would 2.0 work? I added the file to the Phoenix tool and it verified Dell OK.

For everyone trying to make a USB bootable Seven install using UNetBootin....if it keeps restarting the count at 10....you need to format your flash drive NTFS then run the program with your .iso file over again (FAT32 didn't work with the GRUB2DOS loader).

Here is my sendspace folder sendspace.com/folder/oyb8vk. I cannot post links till 20 posts. What exactly should I compare, the .exe's or the .HDR's? Thank you for your guidance.

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The SLIC v2.1 is for Windows 7/2008-R2 and is backwards compatible with SLIC v2.0 for Vista/2008.

Dell only has one certificate file for both SLIC versions...the certificate file is sometimes named "DELL-DELL-2.0.XRM-MS", but you can just rename it to "DELL.XRM-MS".

Thanks for the RW reports. I tested AndyP's PhoenixTool v1.82 and it still builds an identical BIOS to the one posted by imatrix. I also compared the individual modules before & after the mod and only the expected ones were different, so you should be safe to flash with the EXE. Don't worry about the left over files, you just need the D4700A10_SLIC.EXE.

8. delforum

delforum MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    #8 delforum, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    (OP)
    tqhoang,

Thanks to you, it was a success! I thought I would have had to use imatrix's mod, but after creating and using my own, it worked beautifully. Dell/Phoenix makes flashing from OS-Win simple. I didn't even have to clear the CMOS between flashes. Thank you for helping me through the process. How did you end up comparing the modules? Side by side editors?

Here are my steps for those future curiosities to create a SLIC 2.1 Modified BIOS for the Dell Dimension 4700:

Prepare W-Seven
    1. Get your Dell pre-Activated W-Seven OEM .iso image
    2. Format a flash drive as NTFS (my computer didn't have a dvd drive at the time)
    3. Use UNetBootin to put the iso file onto your flash drive and make it bootable

Prepare computer with SLIC 2.1
    4. Download a copy of the A10 BIOS for Dimension 4700 from Dell Support. Make sure your Dell BIOS is A10 already, if not install A10 from Win
    5. Get the latest Phoenix Mod Tools made by AndyP
    6. Get the latest RWEverything and install
    7. Run RWEverything and click on Access, ACPI Tables.
    8. Click the ACPI window and then Save all (control+f2)
    9. Open PhoenixTool and browse to Dell Original A10 BIOS, the ACPI.rw file from save all, and the SLIC information (choose Dell)
    10. Run PhoenixTool with the button on the bottom-left
    11. Run the newly created D4700A10_SLIC.exe file to update the BIOS further

Install W-Seven
    12. Turn off computer, and plug in UNetBootin created USB flash drive
    13. Power on and press F12 when the computer boots and choose USB Device Boot
    14. Use OEM key corresponding to your version of Win