Quick Question about updating Windows 10 Enterprise without UAC permissions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dorlan2001, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dorlan2001

Dorlan2001 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2014
    Well in my college, on the library there are about 25 computers, most of them running Windows 10 Enterprise with Build 10240. That has been installed since the summer (because there are really lazy keeping up to date with OS and upgrades apparently). So the thing is, most of those computers want to install lots of updates, from Office 2013 SP1 (yes, they are using the RTM/non-patched version), to some drivers and of course, Build 14393 (aka Anniversary Update). I talked to the librarian and explained them that (specially for Office) there are tons of bugs and security vulnerabilities that put on compromise their data and ours as well, but they largely ignored me.

When I attempt to update (they are already downloaded on the machine), the PC's ask me for the UAC password (which of course I don't have), so those machines can't update automatically.

So the question in my mind is, there is any way to bypass this (using 3rd party tools or something)? Because I feel that they won't touch those PC's at least until December...

Thanks MDL community in advance! :)

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    What your question ultimately comes down to is, "how can I obtain administrative privileges on someone else's computer", and this isn't the place to get an answer to that kind of question.

Surely your college will have an IT department, try talking to someone there.

3. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Man, I've done research in the past on how to bypass UAC, and indeed there are such tools. Unfortunately, I never tested. Therefore, I base myself only in the word of their programmers.

But reading your case, I have the impression that making your wish will put you through a lot more trouble. And in this sense I do not feel like doing it.

Try to get legal or official authorization with the administration of the college. Or even try to be a temporary technical holidays. In addition to the authorization, you can earn a little money and get rid of future complications.

In my experience as a computer technician, often we need to be linked to outdated systems software compatibility issues. I'm not saying that's good. Only that it is often necessary.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Do the machines have a local administrator account? I have no idea if it still works nowadays, but I remember a few years back I was able to pop in a LiveCD of Ophcrack and get the local admin password pretty easily :p For such a method to work:

- Machines need to be able to boot external media
    - Machines need to be unmonitored
    - Machines need a local administrator account
    - A LiveCD of some password cracker needs to work with Windows 10
    - The main Windows partition on the disk is unencrypted, or you know how to decrypt it (afaik, it'll probably be unencrypted unless Bit locker is being used)

This kind of falls into some illegal activity though depending on where you are and how much people in the library would care.

Do you care about the security of the computers for your own sake, or for others? If it's for your own sake; if the computers can boot external media, another option is to just carry around a LiveUSB of Ubuntu or something with persistence so you can save data.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's called Hacking, MDL is not a hacking board. As said before, the IT department of the school is the one to ask/discuss with.

6. Dorlan2001

Dorlan2001 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2014
    Actually, I do this myself... but when it comes to printing stuff, I have to use their computers.

I care for everyone's security, not only about myself. I can do myself pretty well since 1, I have nothing to hide and 2, I have more knowledge on tech than most people on my college. I even have more knowledge than some IT guys that work there to say the least. That's probably why they leave their PC's unpatched and only do OS upgrades from time to time (like once a year). That's why I want to try to make this by myself (and I'm sure no one would/care if I do it) because again, the Library staff and the IT staff are just lazy and not tech-savvy enough to recognize that we live in an always connected internet world. Heck, they only rely on Windows Defender... that serious it is.

Btw, they tried Ubuntu once on the same computers... didn't lasted for more than 3 months (surprise). XD

I know it is and I'm sorry if I offended any of you because of my question, I was just asking as an alternative to "do ourselves a favor" if no one would care about it (as they have proven to all along).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum up... thanks for all your replies and for taking the time answering my question. I will try once more to talk to IT staff to make them reason and (at least) patch their Office 2013's RTM versions to the latest ones since it is REALLY HARD that those programs end up breaking themselves and other stuff. Again, thanks to everyone! :)

7. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #7 ofernandofilo, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Trying a LiveCD system like: Windows To Go, a heavily customized Windows PE, or a Linux ( Ubuntu-Mate is my suggestion) just to connect to the wired network, looks to me the best of both words. You just don't mess with the system - and, man, that's really important!* - and you have some degree of security.

By the way, It is not possible to connect to the printers by the wifi network? Or even, send the file on e-mail to someone to print? You could use a fake/secondary email account...

* and Why it's important? Man, I work with TI for more than 16 years, and is very common to me get some trouble when I'm simply updating anything, even more when I upgrade the whole system! Please, understand, It's not so straight forward how it looks. Just think... you really have the time to wait for a complete system update without anyone else needing to use the machine? And with no one denouncing you? And If something get wrong, the system stops booting, you get BSOD, or any program doesn't start anymore? If you wanna to "correct" the system. Please, try to be a staff member of college. Get permission. It's easier, secure, and profitable!

** Yes, I had around 19 years old... and I made something like that. My uncle worked in a public service... Windows 98 at the time... The computer was infected. The TI guys doesn't solved the problem, my uncle asked if I could do it... and I tried. I need to reinstall the system, the infection continued, my uncle almost lost his job for that, months later he was fired... That just is not the way to make things right.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Having been on the opposite side of your situation in a large corporation, I can pretty much bet you the "IT guys" are simply implementing policy. Policy established by the company that employees them. Generally, attempts by individuals "more knowledgeable" than they are to do a "better job" than they do is met with staunch resistance. Why would they jeopardize their jobs just to satisfy some craving you have that may or may not make things better. You have nothing to lose if it all blows up, you can walk away saying they let you. They on the other hand would be left holding the job-ending bag.

The wheels of all businesses do grind finely, but they also grind very slowly. And most of them tend to like it that way.