Rackable Systems HDAMA Dual Opteron

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by iainstott, Mar 10, 2010.

1. iainstott

iainstott MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Hi guys. Recently I purchased this server off ebay to use at home and im having a terrible time with it.
    I got it about a week ago, it took me 3 days to get an os installed on it because it would just lock up on me.
    When i finally got linux installed, even the simplest thing (turning it on for example) would lock it up.
    By locking up i mean, screen freeze just wont budge.

Any suggestions as to what it can be.

Arima/Rioworks HDAMA Motherboard
    Dual Opteron 250
    2Gb DDR 333 (i think, will double check)

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Freezing would indicate hardware problems. Check your memory with Memtest86+. Most modern Linux distros include that as an option with the install disc.

3. warmo

warmo MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    have the same board wanted to get sever 2008 on it but have had to settle for server 2003 think prob a ram problem

4. jinxy_tj

jinxy_tj MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    HDAMA locking up/freezing

Just a reply to the opening of this thread, I have also had this exact same problem. It seems to be when the two chips are installed, removing one resolves this issue.

I have had this same problem with my prior board (MSI K7D master), and am looking everywhere for the solution.

In the mean time this is the only solution I have, I really hope it can be resolved.

5. HellFire

HellFire MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    Same issue. Haven't tried removing a CPU yet. I know it's not a hardware issue, i've already ran memtest86 and it was perfectly stable in Win7 for a few days. It was fine running off a live CD overnight while i was cloning the drive, now if i boot off HDD.. it freezes within 20mins.

I've tried the 2.16, 2.17 and 2.18B BIOS, but with all it just freezes after a while.

6. HellFire

HellFire MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    Disabling ACPI seems to have fixed it. Been up for nearly 11hrs now. (With both CPUs in)

7. Tiberium

Tiberium MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2010
    Hi,

I have tried various things too, I am running WHS (not the vail variant) and I am getting lockups at random intervals too, I cannot disable ACPI or the system will not progress past the silicon image finding my SATA HDDs...

Running the 218B BIOS
    2x 250 Opterons on a revision G Hdama
    2GB ECC RAM

any ideas?

8. Gammix

Gammix MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2011
    Here's the most basic possible answer. These MoBos are 6-7 years old. The BIOS battery (CR2032) may, like ours, be ex-haus..ted..! We put in a NEW CR2032 battery, reset the bios (little black push-button on the MoBo near the PCI slots and BIOS) Leave the battery out for a good 1/2 hour. Now our Server is working again.
    What is the 2nd. root of 9?? - anyone?

Michael and Maxim