Radeon HD6870 HDMI output dead?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Sit3UserX, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Sit3UserX

Sit3UserX MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello.

I have a XFX ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card.

The card had been working fine for the last 18 months. I have it attached to a 22" LCD through the DVI port. Also, I’ve been using the video card HDMI output to connect my LG LED TV 26LE5300, which has 3 HDMI inputs. Both displays worked very well till a couple of days ago.

There was blackout, and after power was restored, I turned on my PC. Everything seemed to work fine, but when I turned on my TV and switched video input to HDMI, I got a message box telleing me “Connecting”, and after few seconds, there was no signal from the video card.

When I checked the Windows 7 screen resolution panel, there was only one display (1. Display device on: DVI). So I hit the “Detect” button and I didn’t get the HDMI device output (No display detected).

The LG TV was no longer listed in the Windows 7 Control Panel under Devices and Printers.

I unplugged the HDMI cord from both video car and tv and then plugged again. Same problem, tv not detected.

I uninstalled the AMD drivers. I followed a guide found by googling to get rid of all traces of ADM drivers and then, installed the latest one. I still had the same problem.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 64bit on a new partition. I installed the AMD drivers. The problem persisted.

After uninstalling AMD driver again, I did a reboot and went to motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V) BIOS. I switched primary graphics from PCIe to iGPU, saved and restarted. After system finished loading I installed the onboard graphic drivers and tested the onboard HDMI. It worked perfectly fine. I got signal in both displays: LCD monitor through DVI and LG TV through HDMI.

So it seems the problem is not due to faulty/damaged HDMI cord.

As far as I can tell, the problem is related to the video card HDMI output.

I’ve been doing a lot of research by using Google, reading a lot of forums topics/post but I haven’t found a clear/definitive solution.

The best I have read is about someone who solved a problem with the HDMI output of his Sapphire AMD HD6870, by flashing new BIOS into his video card.

So the questions are:

1.- Do you think my HDMI video car output is definitively dead? How could this happen?
    2.- Do you think it is possible to solve the problem by flashing a new BIOS into the video card? Is that safe? Can I kill my video card if a make a mistake while flashing?

Please, any answers, advices or comments will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.