RAID and modded Bios

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wesh, Aug 23, 2009.

1. wesh

wesh MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Well, i have a big concern and doubt that after flashing the bios and adding the modded bios ( for my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P ), all my RAID configuration along with every change made in the BIOS will be lost.
    This is the last thing i want to see happenning , since i'll lost pretty much everything.
    What settings have to be made in order NOT to loose the RAID settings in the BIOS ? or is it safe to proceed fearless ?

thank you in advance

P.S : sorry if this has already been answered, i tried to look every post on MDL

2. Maliciousone

Maliciousone MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    You shouldn't be flashing your bios to begin with if you have to ask questions like these.

3. wesh

wesh MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009

thx for your VERY helpful answer my friend. We are not everybody geniuses like you it seems.

4. HeadWalker

HeadWalker MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I already made the flash of BIOS in my system Raid0 and I didn't lose any configuration.

Asus P5K-e WIFI/AP

5. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Flashing even a non-modded BIOS usually means reconfiguring your BIOS settings including RAID, especially if a newer BIOS contains RAID firmware updates.

Seriously though..... if having to reenter your BIOS settings is a real concern, maybe you should not be modding your BIOS prom....a bad flash process is a lot more of a problem than reentering BIOS settings.

Most motherboards you have to rebuild RAID after flashing, some you may not depending on the motherboard/controller.

Mirrored arrays are easier to reconfigure than striped ones in my experience (on integrated Intel/Nvidia) where the RAID array has to be redefined, the array info is kept in the MBR anyway, simply re-defining the array will bring it back in most instances.

Just beware!!! if you have a striped array, and flash a newer BIOS with updated RAID code, you might have some real problems.

6. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    WESH

Maliciousone has answered you spot on.

If you're asking questions like that, stick to xp.

What the hell does bios flashing has to do with loosing raid configuration? In this case , nothing, because you're not tampering with raid settings/modules etc.

Me too. ZERO problems. Works like charm.

7. wesh

wesh MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    @ 2centsworth

thanks for your information. I successfully managed to flash my bios with slic version 2.1 without loosing any raid config or bios settings

@ kukubau

BUT, i used the @bios flashing utility from gigabyte and there was an option to " load CMOS default after BIOS update " which i had to uncheck.
    If not, IDE/SATA mode would be the default mode of operation and not RAID, thus "destroying" the RAID.
    Nevertheless,i understand your point when you say that am not tampering with raid settings/modules when flashing bios, but only if the CMOS settings are kept untouched.